"Folders" is not an option in the FILE drop down menu and FOLDER is not shown in the sidebar v6

Options
lhrusovsky
lhrusovsky
Community Member

I want to create folders in v6, The File drop down menu does not show New Folders as a selection. Folders is not shown in the sidebar as a show or hide option.

1Password Version: v6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"Folders" is not an option in the FILE drop down menu and FOLDER is not shown in the sidebar v6

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Are you in "All Vaults" view? If so, try moving to showing an individual vault (even if you only have one vault).

• Hi @lhrusovsky,

Thanks for writing in. As danco mentioned, it sounds like you're in All Vaults. If you switch to a specific vault you should be able to create a folder and view them. For the time being All Vaults has no support for folders. This is something I'd like to see us fix. We think Tags are a better way of organizing items, but many users are relying on Folders, so it would be nice for us to bring those over to All Vaults correctly. There's just a few technical hurdles that are getting in our way before we can do that.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• lhrusovsky
    lhrusovsky
    Community Member
    Options

Both of you are absolutely correct. I was in All Vaults and once I chose a specific vault the folders option was there. Thanks for a speedy solution to my question.

• Hi lhrusovsky,

Glad to help! If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• KimberlyJ
    KimberlyJ
    Community Member
    Options

I have v6 and a specific vault selected, yet no folder option is showing up. I'm on Yosemite, desktop version. No option for creating a folder under File>New Item exists either. Can't see a way around it through the mobile app either. Help?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @KimberlyJ,

If you don't see the New Folder option in the File menu, and you're viewing a specific vault (not the 'All Vaults' view), do you happen to be using a 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families account? If so, that explains why you don't have an option to create a new folder, as folders are not supported in Teams/Families accounts.

In that case, you can use Tags to organize your items instead of folders. Tags in 1Password work very similarly to folders, although you can associate an item with more than one tag (folders are more limited).

Sorry for any confusion about that! If I misunderstood or you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks! :)

• KimberlyJ
    KimberlyJ
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

A-ha! Well, that explains it. I'm on a Family plan. Tags will be just fine. Funny I couldn't find that info in the support area ... maybe you could make that more clear, somehow? Thanks mucho @Drew_AG.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back to let us know that was "all" it was, @KimberlyJ. We'll see if we can make that clearer to avoid confusion like this in the future. :)

Have a great rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.