Why doesn't an icon I have added to a Login always show?

The Rich Icons features works for many of my Logins. For the ones that aren't in your database, I have added icons to my files. Some of these show up in the Logins Window but many do not. All of these icons are in a png file type within the 32 kb limit. Why?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:Why do some icons update and others don't?, kb:privacy-rich-icons

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

@d2walker: You say you added custom icons, and it sounds like 1 they must be showing up for you somewhere and 2 they aren't showing somewhere else. Is that the case? If you can be more specific, I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. For example, what other OS and 1Password versions are you syncing with? Thanks in advance! :)

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

I'm working in Windows 10 OS.

For every Login file I try to Download an Icon. When this doesn't work, I download a png file and edit it to be less that 32K and 25x25 pixels so it will fit in the icon window.

To add the icon to the Login file, I choose edit, then click on the Add button, and choose select icon... , I then scroll through my previously created icons, select the one I want and click on the Open button. The icon now Shows in the Icon picture field next to the Delete Icon and Update Icon Fields. I click on OK to save my changes. The Icon in the Logins List is still the default Logins icon. This only happens in SOME cases. Most Login files DO show the new icon.

Interestingly enough, I can follow this same process in Software or Accounts and EVERY one shows in the List Window. But, within the Wallet files none show up in the List window but they all show up in the View window when the file is highlighted.

I realize that having these icons in the List window of each Category is NOT a necessity. The actual input of passwords works great! Just a wish to have this feature work consistently.

• Hi @d2walker,

We've seen these issues before but we were not able to reproduce them consistently.

Did you notice the issue with the same image files or just the items itself? If you create a new item and add the same icon, did it show the same problem or does it appears to be resolved?

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

I tried adding a different icon to the same file and got the same results - no show in main list but showing when the File is opened. Also tried creating a different file and adding the same icon - no show in main list but showing when the File is opened. Tried deleting and recreating the file from the URL. Same symptoms. So, new or old, same or different I'm getting the same symptoms, Pretty consistent. What can I get to you to help in resolving this issue? Thanks for your help.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

I discovered that if I copied an image, any image, from the webpage of the file, I could get the icon to show up in the main list. One of the files I was having problems with was www.aps.com. I had downloaded icon png images from google's images but they never worked. Then I copied the logo from the website, reconfigured it so it would be the right size (I've discovered that 25x25 pixels works) and voila the icon showed up in the main list. I tried this for all of the other files which I had been unable to get the icon to show in the main list and ALL of them now work. No matter what actual image I use as long as a part of the image from the webpage was somewhere in the file (even underneath), the icon now shows. Hmmm... This is for you masterminds to figure out but it must have something to do with your database (?).

You can count this one as resolved...I guess. Thanks for your help Mike T. You were the one that asked the right questions to allow me to find a solution.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

OK. I've now found the exception to the above rule. https://iasis-secure.com/s/login?b=iasis&
    No matter what I do, I cannot get the icon to show in the main list. Unresolved? What does it really matter. I just wanted the icons to show. Does anyone else really care?

• Hi @d2walker,

We do care, the issue might be the encoding used when you try to copy the image from your browser, which can affect how it is saved. Based on how it is saved, it may affect how we convert your image files into compatible formats to use in the main program. If we can reproduce it, we can then fix it in our code.

Unfortunately, I need more information. I copied the image on https://iasis-secure.com/s/login?b=iasis& and it works for me. The image is a bit weird because it is an ultra wide image that's white mostly. Here's what it looks like:

When I used Paint to crop it, it resulted into this better but not the best quality:

Here's the direct link to the cropped image file for Iasis, can you add it to your Login item for Iasis and tell me if it works.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

I used your cropped image and placed it behind the image I wanted to use. Worked perfectly! Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited February 2016

Hi @d2walker,

The strange thing is that I took it from the site you give me. I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. Can you give me the precise step by step and the browser you're using when you try to copy the image.

We really want to fix this.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

I am using Google Chrome version 48.0.2564.103 m (64-bit).

The steps I followed:
    1. Save a copy of an image from the website to my pc. (In this case it was a jpg file.)
    2. Open the file in Adobe Photoshop CS4
    3. Crop the file to include just the lettering.
    4. Determine the longest side (168 pixels by 65 pixels)
    5. Create a new file that is square to that size (168 pixels by 168 pixels)
    6. Select and copy the entire object and paste it onto the new square transparent object
    7. Paint over top of everything to make it solid white
    8. Open the png file that I want to use
    9. Select and copy the entire object and paste it onto the new all white square
    10. Adjust the size of the file to make sure I'm under the 32 kb limit
    11. Save the file in the name I want for the file.

NOTE: Previously I had been reducing the final png file to 25 by 25 pixels so it would show completely in the Icon window within the file. I noticed you had not reduced the size of your pixels only kept within the 32 kb limit for file size. Since the only place it really matters what is seen is in the main window, I'm thinking that somewhere in the above process (including reducing to 25 pixels) I lost the encoding.

Wanting to see if I could replace an Icon that was terrible when downloaded from the website, I repeated the steps above for the http://nextmed.net/patients/ website and was successful in getting the icon I wanted to show in the main window.

In conclusion, It is very important to copy the original image into the new image file. I have now done this for at least a dozen websites successfully. I hope this helps you with your efforts for being able to download icons without having to go through all of this rigmarole. Unfortunately many websites have logos that do not transfer into an icon very well. Not sure there's much you can do about that other than publishing how to create your own Icon hopefully without having to go through this process.

ANOTHER NOTE: I'm able to add ANY icon to a Software, Wallet or Accounts file with no issues as long as it's within the 32 kb limit. So, as you pointed out, it's something within the algorithm for accepting Icons for Logins.

If there's anything else I can do to help, just email. Thanks for all of your help.

• Hi @d2walker,

Do you still have the original image files that didn't work? If yes, can you attach a few in your next post here. There's a file icon on the formatting toolbar above the reply box to upload your images like I did here.

I want to see if the files that didn't work for you, also doesn't work for me. If it does work for me, then the issue becomes even more peculiar.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

You got it!

The first example is with a "Wallet" item.
    Enclosed are 4 files showing the issue. The first is the icon that doesn't work and the screenshot of that result. Then the icon that does work and the screenshot of that result.

[Updated by MikeT: removed sensitive data]

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

[Updated by MikeT: Removed sensitive data]

• Hi @d2walker,

I apologize, I only meant for you to share the actual image files and that's it, I didn't mean for you to spend a lot of time writing all of that along with uploading all of the screenshots.

I had to remove your posts because it contained a lot of data in your 1Password screenshots. I've saved it on my disk to review and I'll go through it as soon as I can.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

• Hi @d2walker,

Just to clarify, these icons are the one you tried to add to your Reward Program and Login items or are these the original files and you resized it with Photoshop CS4 before you add it?

I'm asking because these are all too big.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

First icon is one that worked.
    Second icon is one I overlaid that worked once but never again.
    Third one is one that did not work

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Both of these files work as is. The Adobe-m.jpg file I just created and added to the adobe login.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

This file works as is and shows up in edit mode but does not show up in the main list

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

This file works as is and shows up in the main list.

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

This file which I created earlier no longer works.

• Hi @d2walker,

Ok, we are getting somewhere. For some reason, 1Password is behaving differently with the same images on both of our computers.

On my PC, none of the icons I mentioned would be accepted, they're all too big. This is what happens when I tried to add it:

This is true regardless of which category the item belongs to, either Reward or Login.

The ones you said worked fine for you:

They all have the same error in 1Password, they're too big.

For some reason, instead of telling you that these icons are too big, it took it, tries to process it but because of unexpected size issue, it didn't fit in the top list.

I think we found the cause of the issue but the problem is, I don't know why you are not seeing the same errors as I am.

This works fine in both views and the main reason, it's ~8Kb in size.

This file which I created earlier no longer works.

They're not the same icons, copy both images in this thread to your drive and look at the size. The one you're saying isn't working is 40KB but the pervious Adobe icon is 7KB. Is it possible you selected the wrong one by default?

• d2walker
    d2walker
    Community Member

Unsure why they're too big. I checked there size in my computer and all were under 32 kb. Anyway, I'm on a cruise as of today leaving the US. So, I'll be out of touch the until Friday.

Good luck!

Dianne

• Hi @d2walker,

Once you're back, we'd love for you to retry this. We'll be standing by to help.

Cheers

• Hi @d2walker,

Enjoy your cruise.

When you're back, we're going to skip using the forum's file uploader as it may be re-encoding the images and instead, we'll move this to email.

Put all of the said broken images that is under 32KB in a folder and compress it. Email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com with your forum username and the link to this thread included.

Let us know here when you've sent it.

• Hey @d2walker,

Thank you for sending the email with the icon samples.
    We will get back to you once we've tested this on our end.

ref: ASC-29379-965

This discussion has been closed.