Multiple page logins don't work because the 2nd page information is stored in place of first page

Options
GlennTurner
GlennTurner
Community Member
edited February 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

...so not only am I locked out for multiple tries - my first-page password is hopelessly lost. And yes, I did click update, not replace current login. This is absolutely unacceptable.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: no way of knowing
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:No multiple page login support

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GlennTurner,

I'm so sorry you're having trouble saving/updating your Login item for a website with a multi-page login! Sites like that can sometimes be a bit tricky, but I'm positive we'll be able to help you out with that.

If I understand, it sounds like you're trying to save login details for both pages in the same Login item. While that works for some sites like that, it won't work for all of them, and sometimes it is necessary to keep two separate Login items: one for the first page, and one for the second page. I don't know for sure if that will be necessary for the site you're having trouble with yet, so I'd like to get a few more details about it, if you don't mind:

Can you please describe what needs to be filled on each page of that site's login process? For example, many sites with multi-page logins will ask for a username on the first page, and a password on the second page. But you referred to a "first-page password" which makes me think something is a bit different here. What fields do you see on the first page, and what fields do you see on the second page?

You also said one of your passwords is "hopelessly lost", but if the problem is that the existing password field in the Login item was replaced by a different password, you should still be able to find the original one. Please open the main 1Password app and find that Login item, and it should have a show previously used passwords button. Click that, and you should see the first password that was accidentally replaced by the second password.

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• GlennTurner
    GlennTurner
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is not that the password was "hopelessly lost" it's the the user name was hopelessly lost - there's no way to retrieve it. I had to call the company several times to re-establish my account. I followed the Agile Bits directions, but the program does not work as advertised for two page logins, which have become the norm. I'm using One Password v. 6.0.1 for Mac.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GlennTurner,

Again, I'm so sorry for the trouble you've gone through here, and we would like to do whatever we can to correct this issue if 1Password is not behaving as expected for multi-page logins.

I've moved this discussion thread from the Mac forum to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum so the experts in this area might find it more easily.

Will you please give us the URL for the site in question so that we may try to reproduce the problem behavior and see how we might improve our app to work better with such websites? Thanks in advance!

• GlennTurner
    GlennTurner
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! The site is att.com. The site was recently updated; currently it requires not only the user name & password on the first page, but then a "passcode" on the second page. Using the 1Password directions to modify the saved login to account for the second page results in the passcode data overwriting my first page user name & password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @GlennTurner,

I would like to see us handle the more complex multi-page logins that some sites use in a much nicer way but to do so will likely mean a significant change to how we store details on pages. The current multi-page login support, when enclosed in a single Login item, is limited to the more simple variety of pages where they typically ask you for the username on the first page and then the password on the second. If a login process requires multiple fields on one or more of the pages or multiple passwords then the only reliable way forward is to create a Login item per page. This will allow you to store information on each page without fear of it overwriting the previous information. We have a lot of work ahead of us for no other reason than how were you to know this prior to losing your username? A better way of storing multiple pages would be great, better communication with the user is vital.

If you had just created the Login item then yes, the information was hopelessly loss which is a terrible state to be in. If the Login item had been created more than 24 hours ago then the information should definitely have been contained in a backup but let's face it, who is thinking backup at a moment like this. So I do apologise for the pain you've gone through here.

In my opinion, the safest and most reliable way forward based on your description of their login process though will be a Login item per page. That way they will capture everything to fill their own page without any possible interference from each other.

• GlennTurner
    GlennTurner
    Community Member
    Options

Will do - thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to say, I do apologise for the reasons that brought you to our forums but we make sure to review every thread and respond to all queries and issues. As you now have an account on our forums please do bring up anything you have questions about - everything helps us as we attempt to help you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.