1PW with a Chome browser

Options
three-cushion
three-cushion
Community Member

Does the 1PW icon appear with the Chrome browser? Handy when using Chrome to open a site that you have a 1PW login/pwd for that site

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @three-cushion,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Just to be sure we're on the same page, you're referring to Chrome on iOS, correct? If so, yes, if you've enabled the 1Password extension it is available in the latest version of Chrome:

Enable the extension | 1Password for iOS

Note that the 1Password icon is available within the "share" menu (the box with the arrow coming out of the top).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Ben: thanks...Yes I had already set up the Extension. But when I launch Chrome, I don't see the icon anywhere on the page??

• Ben
    Options

Hi @three-cushion

Just like in Safari it is under the Share icon:

:)

Ben

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Ben...Great! You answered my next question.,,,, why I couldn't see it in Safari.....
    Last question...on 1Browser it is out in the open?. No need to use Share button?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @three-cushion,

Thanks for getting back to us :+1:

1Browser does not use the App Extension like third party browsers do, instead it uses the same view, with the same user experience except without the share sheet.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers!

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Why doesn't iOS handle the icon as in OS 10? There an icon appears in the address area?? That is so logical..(whereas iOS sometimes is Not so logical)...... I'm getting sick & tired of this see idly fight going on BRW Apples iOS & OS 10 developers!!!

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hello again @three-cushion,

That's a very good question indeed!

iOS App Extensions are not designed the same way that OS X browsers extensions. They are fundamentally different.

App Extensions are based on Apple's Extensibility APIs, thy are bundled inside the host app.

Browser extensions are like add-ons, they can be installed and uninstalled at any moment in browsers. Browser-like extensibility is (yet?) not available on iOS.

For more information about App Extensions, please take a look at the App Extensions page or at the App Extension Programming Guide.

For more information about Safari Extensions, please take a look at Apple's "About Safari Extensions" article.

Let me know if this helps :wink:

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much.Good explanation. As a retired Computer developer/user of Operating Systems, I sometimes gag at what iOS puts out. Then I remember...It is NOT a general purpose OS! Extensions are a patch on a special purpose system to manage Mobile devices...Nothing more! Yet more & more appendages look like Apple would like to have just ONE OS to manage. Sorry, they need to confer with Steve somehow. Once down the iOS path...just stay there and concentrate on OS 10 with the same level of resource as on iOS! Will that happen? IMHO....no it will not. The $$$ are in mobile...not computing devices. Thank for letting me get that off my chest!

• Ben
    Options

iOS is getting closer and closer to being a general purpose OS, but it isn't there yet (and may never actually bridge the gap).

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear Rad's explanation helped. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.