Password Generator - problems.

Options
dhlowe
dhlowe
Community Member

Hello. I am new to 1Password. I have been trying to use it to strengthen my Banking passwords. For example, on my Bank's webpage - Settings - Change Password I am asked to insert my Existing Password. This is inserted automatically by either 1Password or iCloud Keychain - I don't know which. I am then asked to input my new Password. When I open the 1Password Dialogue Box and press 'Generate New Password' it changes the Existing Password. I cannot solve this problem even with the help of your relevant chapter in your Help section.
I am using an iPad with IOS 9.2.1
Thank you.

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dhlowe,

welcome to the 1Password forum :) Great to hear you want to use stronger and generated passwords!

To solve your problem with the new password being filled in the wrong place I'd suggest to first locate the old password for your bank account. In case it is not yet saved in 1Password please create login. To do this please follow our guide to Create a new Login item in Safari.

After this is done go to the Change Password website of your bank. Make sure the old password is filled. Now open the 1Password extension by tapping the action button at the bottom of the screen and selecting the 1Password icon. You should see your bank account under Log In Using. Tap the i button on the right of your bank login. Now select Edit in the upper right corner, generate a new password using the password generator and save. The new password is now saved to your clipboard. Just tap on the 1Password button in the upper left corner now and then on the done button in the right corner. All that is left to do is pasting your new password into the new password fields of your banks website. To do that tap into the new password field, tap again and you will see the paste option - select it and your new password will be pasted into the field. Do the same with the password confirmation field and submit the password change.

Voila. That's it. Hope that helps :)

Winnie

• dhlowe
    dhlowe
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Winnie.
    I apologise for not answering sooner. I have finally understood the process of creating and then changing passwords and have spent much of the last couple of days transferring data from my iCloud Keychain to 1Password and then creating much stronger passwords where necessary. I do a lot of online Banking/Investing and I am much more confident now that I am following 'good practice'.
    I am grateful that you helped me.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @dhlowe. On behalf of Winnie you are very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.