Can't sync 1Password 6.2.1 because MacBook too old (2006) to update software.

Options
tonyw50
tonyw50
Community Member

My MacBook is from 2006 and too old to update OS and 1Password 6.2.1 app. When I acquired my iPhone 5, I updated to the current 1Password 6.2.1 app from version 3.7.2 and successfully imported the data. I've now acquired an iPad mini 4. Both the iPad and iPhone use iOS 9.2.1. I'm now trying to activate 1Password 6.2.1 app on the iPad. When I did the 1Password 6.2.1 app update I was not successful in importing the 3.7.2 data. Since I'm unable to sync using any method because the MacBook is too old, is there any way that I can import the data on my iPhone 5 1Password 6.2.1 app into my iPad mini 4 1Password 6.2.1 app? Or am I condemned to inputting the data item by item?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @tonyw50,

I'd say the path of least resistance for you is likely to be Dropbox. You can set up Dropbox Sync between your two iOS devices and completely bypass the Mac altogether. There technically is also iCloud but 1Password 6 for iOS does require that you make the move from iCloud to iCloud Drive. It's a non-reversible migration and if you use iCloud on your old MacBook it would effectively lock you out as only Yosemite or newer can access iCloud Drive when it comes to OS X. It seems safe to assume you're not running OS X 10.10 or 10.11.

Here is our page on Sync with Dropbox (iOS). It's a bit sparse in places so just to say you would need to create an account over at https://www.dropbox.com which is free to do and then you would want to download their iOS app too as having it on your iOS device before starting Dropbox syncing makes at least one of the steps easier. You can set things up on your iPhone and have it create the 1Password.opvault in Dropbox which you can then link to on your iPad using our Existing 1Password user (iOS) guide.

It also means that going forward any changes made on one device will be available to the other.

Does this help at all? If you have any questions or issues please don't hesitate to let us know :smile:

• tonyw50
    tonyw50
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will let you know how I fare with trying your recommendations. I'm not yet a Dropbox user and I had thought I had to use it through the MacBook so it's great to hear from you that I don't. You're right - the latest OSX version I can load on the MacBook is Snow Leopard which I believe is 10.6. I won't be able to tend to this for at least another two to three days

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @tonyw50,

Don't worry if you won't have time for a few days, we keep a watchful gaze over the forums each and every day so if you do have trouble when you're ready to try we'll be here to answer any questions you have :smile:

• tonyw50
    tonyw50
    Community Member
    Options

Littlebobbytables,
    Just to let you know that I was able to transfer the 1Password data to the iPad app. I did have a few problems but in the end everything was resolved. Thank you very much for your instructions. It would have taken a lot longer if I had to resort to entering all the data one entry at a time. I appreciate your help very much.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent! On behalf of littlebobbytables you are most welcome, and thank you for the update!

If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.