Hyphen delimiters for caps + lowercase + digits + symbols?

Options
carlafollower
carlafollower
Community Member

Unless I am mistaken, it looks like I can either auto-generate a hyphen delimited password with words, such as this fake crappy example:

bell-book-candle

Or auto-generate a non-delimited password with a mix of upper/lower/digits/symbols, such as:

b3LlBo0kC@nDle

But in order to satisfy the password requirements on many sites I use -- upper+lower+digits+symbols -- and use hyphen delimiters, I have to manually edit the password, which is a hassle. Example:

b3Ll-b0oK-c@Ndl3

This could be solved if I could specify a delimiter in the Characters panel, but that's not an option. I keep thinking the newer version of 1Password will solve this but nope. It helps a ton to have a predictable delimiter to tap when entering PWs on a mobile keyword, plus it chunks the password, making it easier to type accurately. Am I overlooking something?

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carlafollower,

Thanks for taking the time to write in about this! You aren't overlooking anything, what you're seeing there are the current options & settings for the password generator. I can let our developers know you'd like to request the ability to specify a delimiter when generating a random password on the 'Characters' panel, but I'd also like to understand a bit more about how that would help you.

The 'Words' panel helps to create strong passwords that are also easy to memorize, which comes in handy for certain circumstances when you don't have access to 1Password, or when need to manually type a password (for example, a password to unlock your computer, which you would need to manually enter before having access to 1Password). But in most cases (like website accounts), you shouldn't need to memorize the passwords you use, and shouldn't need to type them manually. So, a string of random characters/digits/symbols works well there, and shouldn't need to be split up with delimiters - unless I'm misunderstanding your particular situation, of course.

It helps a ton to have a predictable delimiter to tap when entering PWs on a mobile keyword, plus it chunks the password, making it easier to type accurately.

Are you talking about a mobile device such as iOS or Android? We have versions of 1Password for those, and you can sync your 1Password data between your Mac and those devices.

Whether you're using 1Password on your Mac or a mobile device, 1Password should be able to fill your password in a corresponding website, or you can copy & paste a password to a website or app instead of manually typing it. Are you running into situations where 1Password can't fill your login credentials and you're also unable to copy/paste? If you can let us know a bit more about that, maybe we can suggest something to help. Thanks! :)

• carlafollower
    carlafollower
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. A common use case for me involves entering a password on a device that does not have 1Password. I keep both work and personal passwords in 1Password on my home computer + my personal phone. But I like to keep my work life separate from my home life so have not installed 1Password on my work laptop. Hence, I frequently need to look up a PW on my phone and type it on my work system.

On my phone, the option to autofill is not always available and some apps do not let me paste into the PW field. I find myself having to type the UN + PW fairly regularly. Less frequent use case: entering passwords using my TV remote for streaming, or entering the WiFi password into my printer.

And on mobile and onscreen keyboards, it's super inconvenient to switch keyboards to get the right symbols to show. You develop a little muscle memory if you always use the same symbol as a delimiter.

Thanks again for listening. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @carlafollower,

Thank you so much for elaborating on how you use 1Password! :)

I keep both work and personal passwords in 1Password on my home computer + my personal phone. But I like to keep my work life separate from my home life so have not installed 1Password on my work laptop. Hence, I frequently need to look up a PW on my phone and type it on my work system.

1Password can help you to keep your work life and home life separate from each other! On your Mac at home, you could create a new vault in 1Password and move your work-related items there. Then, sync that "work vault" to 1Password on your computer at work. By doing that, you'd have only your work passwords on your computer at work, and wouldn't need to manually type them. It's easy to set this up, and we'll be happy to help you do that if you want!

On my phone, the option to autofill is not always available...

Are you referring to the 1Password extension on iOS? If so, is it unavailable while using Safari, or while using other apps?

...and some apps do not let me paste into the PW field. I find myself having to type the UN + PW fairly regularly.

I see what you mean, and I feel your pain! It's very frustrating when apps prevent pasting in a sign-in form. Some companies seem to think that improves security, but all it really does is encourage people to use weaker passwords. This was the topic of a post on our blog last year, you might find it interesting if you get a chance to read it: An open letter to banks

That had a happy ending, as the article helped convince that particular bank to update their app to re-enable pasting in the login fields of their app. Hopefully the same will happen with other apps that currently disable pasting - it also helps if users of those apps let the developers know about that!

Less frequent use case: entering passwords using my TV remote for streaming, or entering the WiFi password into my printer.

You're right, it can definitely be difficult to enter passwords on devices like that! My best suggestion there would be to change them to wordlist passwords if possible, so they're easier to enter manually (but still strong).

And on mobile and onscreen keyboards, it's super inconvenient to switch keyboards to get the right symbols to show. You develop a little muscle memory if you always use the same symbol as a delimiter.

Good point! Aside from adding a delimiter option to the Characters panel of the password generator, there's probably not much we can do to help there. There are some keyboards you can download for iOS that make it easier to type certain symbols, in case that might help. Otherwise, if you need to create a password with numbers/symbols/capital letters, and find that it helps to add delimiters to those passwords, you might want to try using the spacebar instead of a hyphen, as a space is always available on the standard iOS keyboard.

I can't guarantee we'll add a delimiter option to the Characters panel, but I can certainly forward your request to our developers. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts & use case with us, we really appreciate it! :)

• carlafollower
    carlafollower
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, @Drew_AG . Those are some helpful tips. I hadn't considered setting up a different vault but I think I will do that. Very sensible, too, about using wordlist passwords for TV interfaces.

As for the mobile issue with autofill, I haven't kept a list of where this happens but I suspect it's mostly just apps (iTunes, Pinterest, Amazon Video, a few recent ones). On web there are still sites with modal sign-in overlays that lose focus when you click in the browser menu bar. And some that open sign-in in a new menu-less window. But I can't tell you which these are. You probably know them already. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @carlafollower, I'm glad my tips were helpful! I think using 1Password on your computer at work (with a work vault) will make things a lot easier for you.

A lot of developers have added support for our iOS extension to their apps, and if you'd like to see a list of those, you can find it here: Apps ❤ 1Password

Hopefully the apps you use which don't currently support our iOS extension will do that at some point - it would definitely make signing into those apps a lot easier! If you ever decide to contact developers of other apps to ask about adding support for our extension, feel free to send them this link which explains how easy it is to do that: 1Password Extension for iOS

Some websites can be tricky with their sign-in forms, and although we can't guarantee compatibility with every website, our developers are constantly improving our filling algorithms to work across more and more sites. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to fill forms on more of the sites you visit. If you'd like to let us know about sites where filling isn't working correctly, we explain how to report them here: Reporting website filling issues using Synapse

If you need anything else, you know where to find us! ;)

• carlafollower
    carlafollower
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I just ran across an example with Tumblr. I created a new account in Chrome and the 1Password extension didn't trigger. So I set up a new Login record. Tumblr takes both a Username and Email Address. So from here, I want to see an optional field near the top for the email address. Ideally, once saved it would look like this:

But I would be happy to see it anywhere in the record the next time I open it without having to expand any hidden fields. I don't even know the best place to add the email address. Do I really have to add a new section for it? Or do I add it to web form details? Neither of these sounds right. Isn't there an email field with the email data type here somewhere?

Or should I be putting email addresses in Identities and associate it somehow here? Seems like this was a little more intuitive in a distant past version of the application but I may just be overcomplicating things. Plus I feel kinda dumb right now.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @carlafollower,

Something is really messed up with how we interact with Tumblr. We didn't offer to save on the registration page which we should have and we didn't offer to save on the Login page either. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as this isn't good.

I'm not a Tumblr person (although I do have a test account now it seems) so what I can do is share with you what worked for me.

1. Visit https://www.tumblr.com/login
    2. Fill in your email address on the first login screen.
    3. Click Continue
    4. Fill in your password in the next screen (your email address should already be present).
    5. Manually save a Login item on this screen. The steps in How to manually save a Login will help guide you. You can go straight to the second part and this link will take you directly to it at How to manually save a Login: Tell 1Password to save the Login.

You should find your new Login item stores your email address as your username and your password as your password. In my attempts to log in I've found automatically submit after filling isn't working so you will need to click the continue button. I suspect it's because of how the page works and is another thing we will need to see if we can address. You'll note that we're not attempting to store your username anywhere as that doesn't seem to be part of the login process at all, at least not in any of my attempts today. You can store your username in a custom field if you want.

The web form details section of a Login item is normally best left alone. It often contains important clues or information that allows 1Password to fill a login page and altering it can affect 1Password's ability to fill. So you rarely want to be adding or deleting any fields in there.

I don't know why we struggle with this site so much but it will need to be looked at. If there is any question I have accidentally missed please let me know :smile:

This discussion has been closed.