ad hoc wifi for windows 10

Options

Windows 10 does not have the option your instructions show to set up an ad-hoc network for wifi syncing. I have the choice of "set up a new network" or "manually connect to a wireless network" If I select the latter it asks for a security type. I assume I choose "WPA2-Personal" Then what? Nothing happens. I use ESET not Windows Firewall. I tried turning on the router, disconnecting from wifi, restarting both devices. I get the same error regardless.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows
Extension Version: 4.6.0.598
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: ug:windows/, kb:wifi-adhoc

Comments

• Nancy247
    Nancy247
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have a chat option?

• Nancy247
    Nancy247
    Community Member
    Options

Will I receive an email when you've responded?

• Hi @Nancy247,

Thanks for contacting us with your question.
    Unfortunately Microsoft decided to hide the ability to create an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network from users in Windows 10.
    It is possible but far from trivial. If you're comfortable working with the command prompt in Windows, I can recommend the 'Create Ad Hoc WiFi Hotspot In Windows 10, Here’s How' article on Redmond Pie.

If the device you're trying to connect to is an iPhone or an iPad with cellular option, the easiest solution would be to create a personal hotspot using the iPhone or iPad and connecting the PC to the Wi-Fi network the iOS device creates. Apple has a guide article called iOS: System requirements for Personal Hotspot that lists the requirements for the personal hotspot and links to a guide for setting everything up.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

• Nancy247
    Nancy247
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I will try to set it up from the command prompt. Appreciate the link (I hate Windows 10 so far)

• Please do, @Nancy247, and let us know how it goes.
    Personally I really like Windows 10 because it is incredibly fast and stable. Some decisions, like removing the option to easily set up an ad-hoc network, baffle me, though.

Ping us if we can help you with anything else.

• Hi @Nancy247,

Why are you trying to do an ad-hoc network? What is the error?

• Hi @Nancy247,

If you recently just upgraded to Windows 10, your issue is most likely that Windows 10 has set your network private, which breaks our Wi-Fi sync.

1. Click on Start Menu, go to Settings and select Network & Internet
    2. Click on the Wi-Fi on the left side bar and then click on the Wi-Fi - Connected button.
    3. Now, turn on Make this PC discoverable

Log out and log back in, you should now be able to perform the Wi-Fi sync.

• Nancy247
    Nancy247
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the steps above, got to that page and Make this PC discoverable is already on.
    Are you able to remote in and look at this with me? perhaps we can sort it out.

• LauraR
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @Nancy247 - it looks like you have two forum discussions on this and you have already sent us a support email with a diagnostics report. We will carry on the troubleshooting using email. Thanks :)

ref: MVS-69574-217

• Nancy247
    Nancy247
    Community Member
    Options

thanks

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.