Feature request: Group management

Options

Hi,
I would need to add and manage groups.
For exemple, I would need to create an "Everyone" group, to add... everyone, then assign a read permission to this group on a vault.
Is it on the roadmap ?
Regards,
Cyril

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:better group management

Comments

• julie-tx
    julie-tx
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cyril -

It sounds as though you'd like to see vault permissions assigned on the group level with multiple groups potentially being assigned per vault? Or groups used to assign access to a vault, then the group permissions used to control which access rights the members of that group have? There are two different ways to view your request (three if you make it "both multiple groups per vault and group permissions control vault permissions") and I'd like to understand your request better.

At present, access rights (as opposed to management rights) are assigned per-vault with individual users being assigned to vaults as needed. I can understand that for a team with a large number of users, assigning each and every user individually could be quite a challenge, especially as users are added to and removed from a team. In that instance, allowing groups to control vault membership would simplify your workflow. Likewise, allowing multiple groups to be granted access to a vault could help workflows where a vault is shared by multiple logical groups of team members.

Please let me know if I'm understanding the workflows you'd like to see implemented. I can't make any promises about future product development directions, but if I understand how you'd like to use the product, and how that simplifies your workflows I can advocate for the feature moving forward.

• Julie.
  • cyril_champier
    cyril_champier
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Julie,

Yes, the feature I would like is "vault permissions assigned on the group level ".
    To complete my previous exemple,
    group "Everyone" would have read access on "Shared" Vault
    group "Developers" would have read/write access on "ProductionKeys" Vault
    group "Admin" would hace read/write access on "ProductionKeys" and "Shared" Vaults.

Does it make more sense ?
    REeards,
    Cyril

• Hi @cyril_champier,

Thank you for the details. We are working on custom groups and they will cover this scenario and more :)

• mrmachine
    mrmachine
    Community Member
    Options

I would just like to create groups of users like "Developers" or "Project Managers" or "Directors", and then assign those groups (instead of all the users individually) to vaults. I would like to be able to define permissions for each group/vault combination. E.g. Developers could have read only access to one vault and read/write or full access to other vaults.

So groups are just a collection of users. And permissions are assigned per vault, either via a user directly assigned to the vault, or via a group assigned to the vault.

If a user belongs to multiple groups that are assigned to a vault, or if a user is directly assigned to a vault as well as being a member of a group that is assigned to a vault, their permissions should be drawn from all sources. For example if one group gives them read only access, another gives them write access, and they individually are assigned manage access, then they should have read, write and manage access.

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey mrmachine,

All of what you described is coming soon, and It works exactly how you described. We're just finishing up some of the use cases and coding around it; shouldn't be much longer.

Thanks for your patience!
    Steven

This discussion has been closed.