Logins missing in 1Password for Windows

In 1Password for Windows, I am unable to see or access a number of logins that I have been using frequently. At first I thought 1Password somehow "lost" them; but after some moments of shear panic (after all, having your password manager "lose" your passwords would be catastrophic), I noticed the following:

The Logins count in 1Password for Windows (4.6.0.598) shows 335. Logins count for iOS (6.2.2 on both my iPhone and iPad) show 366. So from Windows I am unable to access a number of logins that do appear to still exist and are accessible from iOS.

I am on Windows 7, using an opvault, and syncing via Dropbox v3.12.5. Dropbox is showing everything is up to date. In fact, I just added a new login (oddly enough when I registered for agile bits) in 1Password for Windows, it synced via Dropbox ok, and I can see this new login on both Windows and iOS.

How do I resolve this? Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• tosa68
    tosa68
    Community Member

Any help with this?

• Hi @tosa68 - I'm so sorry it appears that some logins are missing from 1Password on Windows PC. So we can look more deeply into your set up and investigate this, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

—Windows—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• tosa68
    tosa68
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, @LauraR.
    I've sent the diagnostic reports as requested, support ID is [#PNQ-69191-957].
    Thanks!!

• Thanks @tosa68 - we'll look for it and will reply to you via email.

• wrxratd
    wrxratd
    Community Member

I'm having this issue as well my ios/osx devices show All Items as 913 which is correct and windows shows All Items as 533. Any chance this is still being looked into?

• Hi @wrxratd,

Yes, we are always looking at all reports of this. Please send us your diagnostics report, use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• wrxratd
    wrxratd
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Hi @MikeT

I sent over the diagnostics report as requested! Support ID is [#JAZ-39897-416]

• Thanks, we'll follow up via email as soon as we finish analyzing the report.

• wrxratd
    wrxratd
    Community Member

Any chance we can get an update on this widespread issue that going on with missing logins.

• Hi @wrxratd - Thanks for those reports. Our developers are still investigating and we will be replying to you very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

• zchrykng
    zchrykng
    Community Member

Any solution to this yet? I am also having this issue. Windows seems to be randomly missing logins that exist on my iPhone and Mac.

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

I'm experiencing much the same issue, although in my case only one of four devices shows every login (at least I hope they're all there).

Setup

Sync Method = Dropbox
    Vault Type = OPVault (Painfully converted from AgileKeyChain)
    Devices = 4

Versions / Items Count

4.6.0.598 (Windows 7) / 343 items
    4.6.0.604 (Windows 10) / 305 items
    6.2.2 (iPhone 6s Plus / iOS 9.2.1) / 305 items
    6.2.2 (iPad Air 2 / iOS 9.2.1) / 305 items

Additional Information

Dropbox works fine - When modifying commonly shared logins updates can be observed across all devices, new items can be added and again these will sync to all devices, this issue only seems to affect older logins.

Items which appear only on the one device show the same modified date post edit, there is an initial timestamp update in the UI but after reopening the application (or navigating to another area) it reverts. Curiously the edit stands, its just not reflected in the modified date time. Dropbox does re-sync the relevant band_*.js file on each device.

• MNBowler
    MNBowler
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue. The syncing software shows files are being replicated and the vault files have the right date/time, but the new entries are not showing up in Windows. I downloaded the most recent 1Password for Windows.

Has there been any resolution identified yet?

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member

...in an (apparently) futile attempt to filter out those records affected I have once again followed the advice found here. Anyway, theory goes that I should be able to identify the 38 missing items by updating the modified dates and seeing which ones failed to retain the new timestamp.

However I'm now in a worse state than before, in the sense that my Windows 10 instance now reckons there are only 282 items. iOS seems unaffected, but ultimately no better than when I first post (still indicating 305 items).

56 items refuse to update their modified timestamp, unfortunately I can see no common pattern.

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

So I've just rolled back the version of 1Password on my Windows 10 machine to match that of my Windows 7 install (4.6.0.598), amusingly I now have another completely different number (320 items).

1Password 4.6.0.592 yields the same result, meanwhile reinstalling to the latest release (4.6.0.604) takes me back down to 282 items.

Update

Restarting the 1Password process on my Windows 7 machine has reduced the earlier total to 320, meaning that I've now definitely lost items.

This situation is absolutely intolerable, immediate attention must be drawn to the fact that 1Password has been ditching peoples credentials (probably without them even knowing).

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

This exercise was performed in an effort to resolve login discrepancies between Dropbox synchronised 1Password instances.

More details on that issue can be found here, but in short some logins seemed not to be synced while others were perhaps inconsistent. The plan was to export everything from OPVault and reimport into an AgileKeyChain format before following the advice found here and ultimately here.

However that attempted solution has failed miserably!

The vault from which I'm exporting indicates 343 logins, during export we're informed that 569 items have been processed. At the point of import dozens of duplicate item warnings are thrown, the only real option is to replace them all (since you cannot review). Eventually 569 items are imported, and yet curiously now only 310 logins exist.

I have several questions:

1. Why does the 1PIF export duplicate items?
    2. Are exported items stored in ascending date order? In other words can we rely on replacing all during import.
    3. Does anyone know of a reliable JSON desktop editor which will enable me to identify and tweak duplicated items prior to import?
    4. Looking at the initial link provided above (this one) can anyone advise what is going on and propose a more reliable solution?
    5. ...and purely out of curiosity, am I the only one who has experienced these infuriating issues?

Many thanks.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
    Extension Version: 4.5.3.90 (Google Chrome)
    OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Windows 7 Ult. x64)
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Hi @ChrisLockwood and anyone else experiencing this, we'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member

Support ID [#SHL-13433-398]

• Thanks @ChrisLockwood - we'll look for that ticket and we will help you further via email.

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member

Spot on, thanks!

• You're Welcome :)

• @ChrisLockwood - I am merging this ticket with your other ticket so we can keep all this information together. Thanks for your patience while we troubleshoot this.

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member

@LauraR I'm conscious that I didn't create this particular thread, it is possible that I have now hijacked it with another similar (albeit slightly different) problem.

...and for that I must apologize to @tosa68.

One final thought, now that everything is together in one thread. The issues which I have described span multiple systems and versions of 1Password, furthermore I've tried to improve the situation by performing various actions on each system (complicating things). With that in mind some of you may find the numbers indicated here to be more than a little confusing, sorry!

• @ChrisLockwood - thanks for clarifying this. We are happy to personally help anyone having same problem through our support system.

• tosa68
    tosa68
    Community Member

Not sure if @ChrisLockwood had (still has) the same problem I had ... so to be hopefully helpful:

My issue was one where my Windows 7 app would seem to "lose" login entries, but my iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) seemed to always have a "good" copy, all syncing through dropbox. In my case we, meaning AgileBits excellent support team, isolated it to when I would add or edit a login, update a password, or use the password generator. The way the entries were being updated by 1Password would cause issues with dropbox syncing. Did not happen every time, so took a bit for me to catch on. Anyway, again in my case, since my iOS devices seemed to stay correct, I was able to "recover" the db on Windows from the iOS db.

Ultimately, since updating to 1Password 4.6.0.604 on my Windows 7 PC, I've not had an issue with syncing, editing/adding entries, between Windows 7 and iOS devices. Doesn't mean others aren't having same or similar issue, but mine seems to have been fixed.

• Hi @tosa68 - Thank you so much for reporting back that you were able to recover your 1Password data from 1Password on your iOS device and since upgrading to our latest version you haven't seen further problems. Great news :)

• ChrisLockwood
    ChrisLockwood
    Community Member

Thanks @tosa68 - Actually in my case the issue is reversed, numerous logins are only available on Windows. However its more weird than that since only v4.6.0.598 display these, later Windows versions (4.6.0.604) and indeed iOS all show the same reduced number of items.

• tmmi
    tmmi
    Community Member

I am a new user of 1Password and when I started to use the software some weeks ago, at some point I noticed I am missing logins that I had created. After some panicking I found out - exactly as @tosa68 - that they were actually missing only from my Windows laptop - everything was safe on my iPhone. Currently the count on my phone is 17 and on my laptop it is 12 (I haven't added too many new ones since I found the issue, and I also haven't yet paid for the licence as I don't want to do that before I see this issue being solved).

I just updated to v4.6.0.604 from .598 so according to @tosa68 this might help. But I am not quite clear how to sync my windows vault as it's still lacking logins - is there a way to do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ChrisLockwood: While we're reviewing the diagnostics, I also wanted to follow up here since you raised an interesting point (at least for me):

First and foremost, I want to acknowledge that we won't have a lot of information since obviously what's in your vault is private and the details of that are something which should not be shared with us. So we work with diagnostic information about your setup. It's a bit limiting and challenging in cases like this, but the alternative would be for us to know the actual contents, and that isn't something you (or we) would want. All of this is to say that I apologize for this next bit, where I have to speak in vague generalities! :blush:

One thing that sometimes comes up is differences in categories on Windows when compared to other platforms, along with differences between the AgileKeychain and OPVault formats, and finally the way that categories themselves are displayed. I guess what I'm asking is, are you able to confirm that specific items are missing? Or is it possible that you're relying on category counts and that's the source of (at least some of) the confusion? I suspect not, but I'd rather get confirmation.

For example, 1Password for Windows still supports some legacy categories, such as Accounts, which will show up as Logins in the other apps (you can get a sense of this by unchecking Wallet and Accounts in the View menu in 1Password for Windows). The AgileKeychain format itself originally supported these everywhere, but with the advent of custom sections and fields, this was reorganized. OPVault, on the other hand, does not support legacy data, as it's a newer format.

Obviously it's difficult to even discuss this without referring to specifics, but I wanted to bring this up in case it might help shed some light on your situation, since you seem like exactly the sort of person who might be able to make a connection like that (given all of the experimentation you've done with your data). Let me know what you think! :)

• tosa68
    tosa68
    Community Member

@tmmi, yes I was able to recover the Windows side db from my iOS devices. Essentially involved stopping sync on all devices/apps, renaming existing vault in Dropbox, then reenabling sync from iOS to "push" the db back to Dropbox. After that, open this 'new' vault in Dropbox from the Windows 1Password app. Once db was confirmed, I could clean up the old renamed vault.

The 1Password support team did give me step by step instructions, so I would HIGHLY recommend getting the detail from support rather than following my general outline. Not that I don't want to be more helpful, but I really don't want to be responsible should I accidentally cause more confusion or problems. :)

This discussion has been closed.