One time password filling

Options
yosph
yosph
Community Member
edited February 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Is there any way to detect one time password (OTP) webpages (these websites typically contain the word "one time password/code" or "two-step password") and autofill the one time passwords? I find that my email is incorrectly auto-filled in when I use the autofill keyboard shortcut on OTP webpages. I have to then open 1Password and then manually copy and paste the OTP.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yosph,

At the moment this is a known weakness of 1Password but one that a) we're aware of and b) do want to do something about. We all use TOTP in a couple of sites here so there shouldn't be a single person in AgileBits that doesn't want to see this happen. The problem we need to think about is how. I know that sounds like an odd thing to say but how we record what to fill and where and how our multi-page filling support works doesn't readily lend itself to a minor tweak in the code. So we're mulling over a few ideas that range from what might be described as easy to implement but not elegant through to rethinking of how we do certain things but will take time to implement.

How I currently work with 1Password when it comes to TOTP codes is after filling the first page I do the following:

1. Use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password mini.
    2. Bring up the item's details (see 1Password mini if you're not sure what I'm referring to).
    3. Click on the TOTP code to copy it to the clipboard.
    4. Paste.

It's essentially what you're doing but I wasn't sure if when you say 1Password you mean opening up the main window and searching for the item or using 1Password mini which should have the item listed right at the top thanks to domain matching. It's a few steps that ideally you wouldn't have to do but I don't find it too onerous. Now while I may not object too much I do also believe we need to fill TOTP codes.

Sorry I don't have a more positive answer to offer right now. It will be addressed in time though, of that I feel confident.

ref: OPX-758

• sglewis100
    sglewis100
    Community Member
    Options

Obviously it'd be great if it auto-filled those one time passwords, but I realize that can be tricky, especially since they're often on a subsequent page, separate from the login. What would be nice, however, is if 1Password copied that one time password to the clipboard whenever auto filling a login form on a site where a one time password is in use. Obviously there'd be cases where it would time out before you pasted it, but it'd make my workflow quicker most of the time and maybe would be quicker to implement?

• yosph
    yosph
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks for your reply! I've been opening 1Pw mini, but this still requires several keystrokes and clicks.

@sglewis100 's idea is brilliant. Copying the OTP to the clipboard would make 1Pw a lot easier to use.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @sglewis100 and @yosph. That sounds like it has potential, but as with everything we have to consider all the possible consequences of such a change such as unexpectedly wiping the user's clipboard contents of important information. I will bring this up as a possibility, though. Thanks!

• yosph
    yosph
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 that is a great thought. What about this:

1Password stores the original clipboard content, replaces the clipboard with the OTP, after 7 seconds, replaces the clipboard with the original clipboard content.

This feature could be turned on by default but have an explanation in the settings.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's certainly one way to go, @yosph. I'm sure you've seen our clear clipboard setting, so perhaps we could do something like that. We can't promise what form this will take of when it might be available, but these are all good ideas. Thanks!

• skatch
    skatch
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I was about to post a question asking for the same thing, then saw this thread. Just chiming in with a +1 that auto-filling of one-time passwords would be a very nice time saver. Sounds like it's tricky to implement, but looking forward to whatever the team comes up with.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @skatch!

This discussion has been closed.