Filling Identity or Credit Card almost never works

Options

I've been a 1password user for a few months, and while saving/filling logins works great, trying to fill identities or credit cards fails more than 9 times out of 10. I've only been able to fill my identity a handful of times, while CC's work a little more often. This is across multiple browsers and systems/platforms. I mainly use Firefox Developer Edition on Mac, but I also have the same results with regular, release channel Firefox on Windows, as well as Safari and Chrome. All with the latest 1password + extensions. I've even tried the beta Firefox extension with no luck.

If it was more sporadic I'd chalk it up to poorly designed forms and report them. But given prior experience with other solutions like LastPass being fairly good at this, having it pretty much never work even on well known sites makes me believe something deeper is wrong.

1Password Version: 4.6
Extension Version: 4.5.4b3
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @matthewcowie,

I've always found our filling of credit cards and identities to be pretty good but it can vary depending on the sites a person uses. When it comes to both we're always attempting to fill based on a lot of educated guessing given there are no standards in place for creating forms like this. Instead we have a number of heuristics to decide on the best course of action. Sometimes they get it wrong and learning where we make mistakes allows us to improve it going forward.

So I would be curious as to the following.

1. When you say filling fails what do you specifically mean, is it simply not filling any fields at all or is it making mistakes and filling the wrong fields?
    2. I see you mention you run 1Password on both Mac and Windows. Do you find the filling is consist between the two platforms if you attempt to fill the same page from both a Mac and a Windows machine?
    3. Do you have any example sites where we should be able to reach such a form easily? I will happily create test accounts, but I'm sure you can understand that I'd rather not have to commit to a service, subscription or purchase to reach the required form. I have a vault full of test accounts though because I will go test and see exactly what you're seeing.
  • matthewcowie
    matthewcowie
    Community Member
    Options
    1. No fields are filled. I right click the page, select 1Password, hover Identities, click My Name (I only have the one set up). The identity in the 1Password app is filled out with first name, last name, email, postal address, and phone number. None of these get filled.

2. Up until now I would have said it's consistent across Mac/Windows but in trying to get you some better data (I'm a developer myself so I feel the pain) I set up my machines side by side and observed the the Mac was actually working and the Windows one was not at all. If it turned out it was always the windows box (which gets used for shopping more) and the mac just ran into bad sites here and there I could believe that.

3. I was using some shopping sites for testing but this form is public and exhibited the behavior. Was able to fill successfully in Firefox and Safari on Mac. Nada on Windows with any browser, even after reinstalling the extension.

So, that's useful information. Assuming it is just an issue with the Windows version are there any steps I can take or further information I can provide?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @matthewcowie,

I think I know the cause. To confirm can you try the following for me please.

1. Open 1Password for Windows.
    2. Select one of the Credit Card or Identity items with this issue and click the Edit button to bring up the Edit window.
    3. Without needing to touch any field, simply click the OK button.
    4. Attempt to fill with this item.

If I'm right it should now fill but I'll wait to hear back from you first :smile:

• matthewcowie
    matthewcowie
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

Ha! That works. Thank you.

Curious as to what's happening there. Some corrupting bit of data that gets sanitized after edit?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @matthewcowie,

Some corrupting bit of data that gets sanitized after edit?

I kind of wish it was a blip like this, something where I could say you'll never experience it again now that all is good. The real answer though is there is a difference between 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows that we need to address. Actually there are differences all over the place, some due to the different platforms and others which we would label as platform feature disparity. Back to this specific point though, 1Password for Mac is dynamically generating certain data on demand while 1Password for Windows generates and stores it for static retrieval. So editing and saving, even though you changed nothing caused 1Password for Windows to generate the data that 1Password for Mac generates dynamically on an as-needed basis. This issue is specific to the OPVault container hence us only discovering it recently. Adoption of the OPVault container has steadily risen over the last few months, prior to this the Agile Keychain, first introduced in 1Password 3 for Mac remained king (where this difference wasn't present). So one way or another there is a bug we need to fix. The edit and save is the workaround that gets things going again until we can resolve this.

I hope that helps explain things. If you still have questions though please ask as in general I find people are quite accepting of many things as long as the time is taken to ensure they feel fully informed.

ref: OPW-500

• matthewcowie
    matthewcowie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, knowing roughly what's causing it and how I can band-aid it myself takes it from something that grinds me enough to register for a forum down to a minor annoyance. :)

I don't envy the task of reconciling all this stuff!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your understanding, @matthewcowie! I'm glad that workaround helps in the near term. In the future, we definitely want it not to be necessary at all. Stay tuned. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.