1Password, new Function Fingerprint unlock not working

DeMonToll
DeMonToll
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Android

Hi all,

i just updatet to the newest version of the 1Password App for Android trough the PlayStore.
Was happy to read the changelog and wanted to activate the Fingerprint unlock right away.
But the moment i hav to scan my Fingerprint my phone vibrates and then nothing happens (in the background you can see how the switch deactivates itself).

I have made a screencast demoing this behaviour.
Heres the video: https://goo.gl/photos/th2nsy53YxDjfvEo8
Any one having the same issue?

so long and thanks in advance

DeMonToll

Edit: Btw the new Material Design looks so good :), way better than befor. Thanks for the update anyway ;).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1 - CM13
Sync Type: Dropbox Sync

Comments

• saad
    edited February 2016

I’m very sorry you are not able to use Fingerprint Unlock on your device. I like to help you get things working again.

What devices are you using? Also, just to make sure things aren’t in a bad state, I like you to do a reboot of your device and let us know if that helps.

Thanks! (And really happy to hear you're liking the redesign ;))

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

@saad
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Im using an ZUK Z1 from Lenovo. The Fingerprint scanner is already in use for the Screenunlock and buying stuff on the PlayStore. Both of it works, so im confident the Fingerprint scanner itself is working correctly.

In terms of Hardware its an Huawei scanner which is build in.
    Reboot doesn't solve the problem sadly.

Thanks for your help in advance :).

so long

DeMon

• Hi @DeMonToll,

I was just following up with one of our beta testers about a similar issue. I'll share my response here:

Since the option to enable Fingerprint Unlock is being displayed in the Security Settings in 1Password, it looks like we are successfully recognizing that the fingerprint authentication API is available. This would suggest that either the fingerprint authentication API is returning an unexpected result or an error is occurring when we attempt to generate the encryption key that will be used with fingerprint authentication. I will follow up on this with our development team and try to reproduce the issue on our end. If you don't mind, I may need to rely on you to help test the fix.

Hopefully you'll be willing to help us with testing a fix as well :)

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Hi @mverde,

thanks for your reply.
    Of course im willing to help you guys test a fix.
    Just cotact me and i will try what i can do to help you guys develop a fix.

so long

DeMonToll

• That's great to hear! Thanks for the willingness to help!

• Hi @DeMonToll,

I was hoping to take you up on your offer of help. We published our beta 2 update of 1Password 6.1 to Google Play yesterday and I included some additional feedback when enabling Fingerprint Unlock that should hopefully help us pinpoint the issue. If you aren't already part of our beta team, I would like to invite you to join by signing up here.

Once you've done that (or if you've previously done it), you should be able to install 6.1b2 from Google Play. Could you try enabling Fingerprint Unlock with that version and let me know what (if any) error messages are displayed?

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

Hi @mverde

sorry for the late reply.
    I installed the beta version but still getting the error. The Error it points out via Promt is "Fingerprint unlock unavailable - Fingerprint unlock could not be enabled because an error occured."

Thanks in andvance

so long

DeMonToll

• Thanks for the update @DeMonToll! I'm still looking into this, but that feedback gives me a clue as to where the failure is likely occurring. I'm hoping to have something new to test in our next beta release.

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@mverde
    Today i updatet to the newest beta Version through the store. I testet it and im still getting an error but now i can give you a more detailed error message.

The exception that gets triggert after a failed registration oft my Finger is "Javax.cryto.IlligalBlockSizeException"

Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance

• Thanks for the update @DeMonToll! It's definitely helpful to know the exact exception that is being triggered.

• aakash
    aakash
    Community Member

FYI: I'm not sure if an update was just pushed out, but I too was having this error message appearing when I attempted to enable fingerprint security on a new Samsung Galaxy S7 a few hours ago. I then enabled the pin instead, and once that was successful, I was able to enable the fingerprint option and it appears to be working for me now.

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

Hi @aakash thanks i testet it right away.
    sadly for me this doesnt seem to help. Still getting the IllegalBlockSizeException.

But im happy to hear it works for you :-)

so long

DeMonToll

• Thanks for the tip, @aakash. That might be helpful to others who happen upon this thread with the same issue.

• mcamou
    mcamou
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I have a ZUK Z1 which I just updated to CyanogenMod 6.0.1, and I'm seeing the IllegalBlockSize exception. I tried the PIN workaround but it doesn't work.

• Thanks, @mcamou. I'll forward this to our developers. :)

Can you let me know what you mean when you say the PIN workaround doesn't work? Are you having trouble enabling a PIN code?

• mcamou
    mcamou
    Community Member

I meant the workaround posted by @aakash, enabling the PIN and then adding the fingerprint. I entered a PIN and then tried to enable the fingerprint but got the IllegalBlockSize exception.

• Ah, thanks for the clarification! Sorry to hear that didn't work out for you.

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

For clarification: im also using an ZUK Z1.

Kind of seeing a pattern

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

After i've read through some articles I 've found out that many 3. Party apps have this issue.

On many occasions it happens when Google has updatet their policies in terms of how fingerprint unlock should work.
    Especially since Google implementet their monthly security patches which flow directly in let's say cyanogen mod roms an other roms from company's like Motorola who are quite fast in pushing updates to their devices this may be the case that the devices accepting unlocks only on the new specifications.

But that's all just speaking out of the blue.
    Anyway an article that I've found on this topic can be found here:

http://phandroid.com/2015/10/20/android-marshmallow-fingeprint-rules/

So long

DeMonToll

• mcamou
    mcamou
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

The CyanogenMod ROM shows a security patch level of April 2, 2016. In case it's useful, the build number is 13.0-20160418-SNAPSHOT-ZNH0EAO2NN-ham ("ham" indicates the ZUK Z1). I flashed CyanogenMod instead of CyanogenOS, since there is no sign that the Marshmallow release of CyanogenOS will be coming any time soon.

• mcamou
    mcamou
    Community Member

I've tried using adb to see if I can get a stack trace, but nothing appears. If you put out a build that dumps the exception to the log I can help out with that. It might also be a good idea for debugging purposes to print out not just the exception, but the message contained in it.

• Thanks for the informations! We've actually noticed this issue occurring on OnePlus and ZUK Z1 devices, as well as with CM ROMs. Our developers are aware of the issue and looking into it to see if there's something we can do on our end. :)

• DeMonToll
    DeMonToll
    Community Member

Just been looking around in the Playstore.
    And was casually testing different apps.

Found out that many other password managers have the problem with the fingerprint unlock.

For example Endpass also doesn't work on my ZUK. But on the other hand Lastpass works same with Keeper. But others don't.

It's all kind of weird to see some work and some not.

Anyway, just wanted to give you guys an update

• I imagine it has to do with how apps different are implementing fingerprint unlock. I'll let the team know. Thanks for the info, gumshoe! :)

• mark_taylor
    mark_taylor
    Community Member

Is the issue resolved.I'm getting the same error in One plus

• mcluff
    mcluff
    Community Member

Having the same "BlockSizeException" error on my Galaxy S7 Edge.

1Password 6.3
    Android version 6.0.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mark_taylor, @mcluff: I'm really sorry for the trouble here! We're investigating what's preventing some folks from using the sensor on certain devices. We'll get to the bottom of this!

ref: OPA-839

• etychon
    etychon
    Community Member

Hello folks --

Ditto for me with "javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException" error on a international unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 running stock Android 6.0.1. This is the same problem as some others are seeing on Android N preview (ie: @holgr ).

Please let us know if we can help in troubleshooting this?

Emmanuel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I think we should have what we need — especially with the diagnostics others have sent and Android N c/o Google IO. We're on the case! :sunglasses:

• mcamou
    mcamou
    Community Member

@brenty A bit of clarification. Does this mean that it can't or won't be fixed in Marshmallow?

This discussion has been closed.