1Password 6 on Mac is Suddenly Really Slow

Options
justcharlie
justcharlie
Community Member

I recently upgraded to 1Password (and switched sync from Dropbox to iCloud) and now it's really slow! I have 662 items in 1Password (not a huge amount, right?) and when I input text, the characters appear slowly. I tried restarting and it's still like this. No other apps on my computer are slow (2013 Retina MBP with 8gb of RAM).

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.12
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @justcharlie! Sorry to hear that. We just released a new version, 6.0.2, and it just may get things back up to speed. Please update and check to see if things are running properly. If they are, great! If not, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac? That will give us a bit more info about what's happening.

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you send the email, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive a few minutes after sending. That will help us connect the dots. :)

• justcharlie
    justcharlie
    Community Member
    Options

Done. Thanks for your help!

• esiLivingston
    esiLivingston
    Community Member
    Options

Hello.

I, too, have noticed a performance hit when starting 1password (i.e. slow to open vault after entering master password).

Version 6.0.2 does not appear to be available yet on the Apple (UK) App Store, so I am unable to comment on whether or not it resolves the issue.

Eric

• Hi @justcharlie,

Would you mind posting your bitbot confirmation number? Would love to take a gander at that diagnostics report.

Rick

• Hi @esiLivingston,

We're still waiting on 6.0.2 to get approved by Apple for the Mac App Store. It should fix some of this, but I'm currently working on reworking how we schedule sync work which I believe to be one of the big factors in the slow downs for people. You can test this yourself by temporarily disabling sync on all of your vaults then seeing if unlocking is faster.

Rick

• justcharlie
    justcharlie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,

Sure, this is the number that I got in the email: #SBW-77456-744

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @justcharlie! We received your report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: SBW-77456-744

• justcharlie
    justcharlie
    Community Member
    Options

Greatly appreciated! The support you guys offer is wonderful. I will continue to recommend 1Password to everyone within earshot.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your kind words! We do love our work and our customers and we hope that it shows. :love: We wouldn't be where we are today without awesome users such as yourself, so thank you for cheering us on!

• pdboyer
    pdboyer
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Version 6.0.2 (602004) and find it incredibly slow, as well. In particular, unlocking 1P takes over 20 seconds. I haven't noticed any similar slowdown in website filling, but it's certainly not as fast. Not feeling like much of an upgrade! :) Love you guys, tho!

• pdboyer
    pdboyer
    Community Member
    Options

Note on my prior comment above...now using Version 6.0.3.BETA-2 (603002) and the unlock problem appears to be SOLVED (or at least vastly improved!! Great going.

• @pdboyer Sorry to hear that it's been slow lately, but I'm glad the beta fixed things. :) Let us know if the issue pops back up again.

• EvilTwin
    EvilTwin
    Community Member
    Options

I too have noticed over the last few months that 1Password is very slow to load after I enter my login details.
    I did an upgrade recently and it went back to normal speed, but then dropped back to being slow again after a couple of days.

• EvilTwin
    EvilTwin
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 6
    Version 6.2.1 (621002)

• Jacob
    Options

@EvilTwin I suspect this is a different issue than the one above. We've been investigating some sluggishness and we have some fixes for it in the latest beta of 1Password for Mac. If you'd like to give that a try, head over to Using 1Password betas to learn how, and if you have any issues, send us a Diagnostics Report to help us get them patched up. Thanks so much! :)

• jraydan
    jraydan
    Community Member
    Options

I am also suffering from this problem. After unlocking it takes a good 20-30 secs , and to fill out information on websites too. I'll try to send a diagnostics report to see if that helps. This happens on my macbook pro retina late 2013, but on my iMac 1password works without any problems at all.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jraydan,

Have you recently rebooted your computer? We’ve heard from several users reporting slowness who say that a restart clears things up.

Our developers are looking to find a proper solution here, but a restart should give you better behaviour for now.

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I would also like to report this issue. It's a while that 1Password for Mac is very laggy. I have a feeling it is introduced with one of the last updates, as it was working fine before a couple of months ago.

What I experience is this: after unlocking the Vault (usually the 1Password mini in the top bar to enter a password in Safari), 1Password gets unresponsive. If I hover with the mouse pointer on the app window, I see the hour glass turing around.

I have rebooted my macbook pro but unfortunately it does not help.

• Hi @Omid,

Are you running version 6.3? If not, please upgrade and let us know. There were some performance issues in 6.2 and early 6.3 betas that were resolved.

If you are running 6.3, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also include the date/time you experienced the slowness.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Regards,
    Kevin

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin,

I'm running the latest in de Mac App Store, which is 6.2.1 (621001). I suppose sending diagnostics reports is not that valuable with this version. I could do if I could install 6.3 version.

Could you please let me know when the 6.3 version will be available through the Mac App Store?

Kind regard,
    Omid

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Omid,

Version 6.3 is already available in the Mac App Store - however, we've heard from some customers that it isn't appearing there as an update. We don't have control over that, but some customers have reported a couple solutions which might help:

First, please try rebooting your Mac. After it restarts, check the Updates section of the Mac App Store again to see if 1Password 6.3 is there.

If the update still isn't shown, we've also heard that deleting the 1Password app and reinstalling it from the Mac App Store will solve the problem (i.e. it will install the latest version). If you try this, drag the 1Password.app file from Applications to the Trash (make sure you do not use any app cleaning tools when you do this). Empty the Trash, then reinstall 1Password from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store.

Once you've installed 6.3, that should solve the problem with the delay when unlocking 1Password mini. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have trouble with any of that. Cheers! :)

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG!

After a reboot I got the 6.3 version pushed. I just updated. I'll try testing 1Password. I'll come back if the performance issues still exist.

Thank you very much so far!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if the problem returns. :)

• jeffyerkey
    jeffyerkey
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Me too! My 1Password 6 has become insanely slow to respond and open up after I upgraded. It's TERRIBLY SLOW. Version 6.5.2

• Hi @jeffyerkey ,

Is it slow to launch, unlock, fill a web page, or something else?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• jeffyerkey
    jeffyerkey
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reaching out. My Mac desktop app (v 6.5.2) is slow to launch, frequently taking 5 to 15 seconds.

The other irritating thing is that once it launches and builds the launch screen, there is no visual indicator where the focus point is, i.e. no blinking cursor to denote whether focus is already on the "Enter Your Master Password" field or not. Strangely, once I have logged in, and then logged out, focus is set on the master login entry field (properly).

• Jeff
  • Hi @jeffyerkey ,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s).

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• lifeofguenter
    lifeofguenter
    Community Member
    Options

Same here (MBP 2015 / macOS 10.12 / 1passwd 6.5.3):

• every keystroke during unlocking (either app or browser extension) is super laggy
    • navigating the app (searching especially) is super laggy / slow
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry 1Password is being so slow/laggy on your Mac!

I see that you also sent us an email about this and included a diagnostics report. Someone will take a look and reply to that email as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. I'm sure we'll be able to get this all sorted out soon. Thanks for your patience! :)

ref: HBK-99726-841

• bockscar11
    bockscar11
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here per descriptions above. Kills workflow. Diagnostics dispatched 20:41 PT per instructions above (25 mins ago). No confirmation email rcvd w Support ID.

This discussion has been closed.