OTP auto Login

Options

If i login to a site with OTP AUTH, i must every time manually copy and paste the OTP Code to the HTML input element.

Is there no way to click on the extension, select the item with a right-click and click on the OTP to fillout the OTP html input automatic?
Or is this a missconfiguration from me?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @lutz !
    The main barrier for OTP form auto filling is that OTP form usually is on the different web page than the login form. Currently, 1Password does not support login prototype which lasts more than single page. Thank you @lutz for reminding about this feature, we keep it in mind and we will find the way how to improve usability in working with OTP.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

@lutz The problem with Auto-Type is that it will enter your TOTP where the blinking caret is. It could be in the TOTP <input>. Or it could be in the address bar. It could basically be anywhere.

That being said, here is a workaround you might appreciate. I'm assuming here you have a TOTP for GitHub.

1. Navigate to github.com
    2. Click on the 1Password button
    3. Unlock
    4. Your GitHub login item should appear at the top of the popup menu (if not, then navigate to some other web site you have a TOTP for)
    5. Right-click on your GitHub menu item
    6. Click on: One-Time Password
    7. 1Password should now copy your TOTP to the Windows Clipboard.
  • Just to expand on svondutch's post, you can paste the TOTP code via the Control + V shortcut once you click on the TOTP field. This is true for other fields like the username/password.

We do plan to make this more automated in the future to fill TOTP code via the same Control + \ shortcut but we don't have a timeframe on this.

• codatory
    codatory
    Community Member
    Options

It would be super handy to be able to just set the form element ID for auto-fill. Since the AutoTask OTP field is on a 2nd page, I'm getting my password auto-filled (as it's a password type for some reason). If, like with username and password I could create a manual webform element named SecondFactor and designate it as an OTP that would satisfy me.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

It would also be handy to have a key combination to copy the current site's TOTP code to the clipboard in lieu of an auto-fill, so I can do Ctrl+O (for example)/Ctrl+V to copy/paste the TOTP and paste it in without having to dropdown the menu. This could fill in the gap before auto-fill is working for TOTP codes.

• @codatory Yup, going the two step route might be a good intermediate step but ideally we'd want to have that information stored in the same item, only requiring the user to click the item in the 1Password extension a second time, or to simply use the ⌘+\ shortcut once more to fill it.

@dszp That would be a neat solution but any kind of keyboard shortcuts that we add, especially easy ones will most likely clash with some kind of global or app-specific shortcut and cause issues and confusion.

Thank you both for your suggestions! We very aware that filling TOTP codes is a necessity and we're working on it.

This discussion has been closed.