Feature Request: Automatically populate software entry when purchasing an application online.

Options

Seeing as how all software is purchased and downloaded online these days it would be great if 1PassWord offered an API connection or client side scrape to pull your software purchase and license information in automatically.What I'm imagining is as much on the software companies and payment firms (like Digital River) as it is AgileBits to create a natural conduit for this type of information. Seems natural for me that a mechanism should exist to easily archive software as we do other digital media such as movies and music. I came to own 1Password solely for it's ability to manage my software licenses and (that was nearly 10 years ago) and I am surprised they remain unrivaled in consumer software license management. Props to the team at AgileBits for making this feature available so with that in mind, go off and do something more amazing and create a software license / storage solution on par with iTunes or UltrViolet ;)

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:create software entry automatically

Comments

• Hi @evan_riser and thank you for this great suggestion about adding software licenses automatically to 1Password. We would love to be more amazing :) and I will forward this suggestion to our developers though I personally don't know how easy (or hard) this would be to do.

• Hi @evan_riser,

We used to do this in the past but it didn't spread as much as we'd like but it is something that's on our mind for the future.

What some sites did in the past is generate the 1PIF file of the software licenses for the customers to download. 1PIF or 1Password Interchange File/Format is our JSON-based import/export format for 1Password. When the site offered this, you can download it and click on it to open it in 1Password, 1Password will then import everything for you. Since it is a flexible JSON document, it can include all sorts of information.

Unfortunately, it didn't spread out to other sites because it requires the site to tailor it to 1Password only, even though 1PIF is an open format that anyone can use.

This discussion has been closed.