Sync asking for old Master Password

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Old password generator.

Comments

• rsesler
    rsesler
    Community Member
    Options

I have a problem. I set up my initial vault a number of months ago - and then was unable to open my vault because of an incorrect password (which I am confident that I had correct and you were unwilling to help me rescue it). Your recommendation was to start all over, which I did. Now I want to sync on all my Apple devices and I have been asked to use my old password with my previous vault in order to sync. HELP! I have little or no information in my previous device and will be pleased to eliminate it. Help.

Thank you.

Dick Sesler

• Hi @resler,

Sorry you are having this issue, however I believe we can help you out.

You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming you are attempting to set up iCloud for sync. If you are using Dropbox, ignore the instructions below and reply right away and we can provide instructions on resetting Dropbox sync.

The reason it is asking for your old password is because you were syncing before you reset 1Password on your devices. The data on iCloud is encrypted with your old Master Password.

What you need to do here is erase that iCloud data. To do this, open 1Password on one of your iOS devices, and go to Settings > Advanced , scroll to the bottom and tap Erase iCloud Data.

After you have done that, you should be able to set up iCloud sync with your current Master Password.

If you have any questions on the above, please reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.