1password does not unlock and freezes when I type in my password

Options
dmp
dmp
Community Member

I upgraded to 1password 6 from 1password 4, but ipassword 6 only contained a subset of my passwords. Since I didn't have time to look into how to move all my passwords into 1P6, I've been opening 1P4 for those passwords.

However, today 1P4 is not unlocking after I type in my master password! It just stayed frozen, without indicating that the password is correct or incorrect. I need to access passwords in there ASAP!

My question:
1) How can I get 1P4 to unlock so that I can access my passwords?
2) How do I sync the passwords from 1P4 into 1P6 so that I can finally delete the old version? Is there a way I can use a backup of 1P4 to import into 1P6? 1P6 is opening with my master password as expected.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dmp,

I'm sorry you've been having problems with 1Password 4 and 1Password 6!

1Password 4 is a couple years old now, and was created to work best on Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or 10.9 (Mavericks). We released 1Password 5 when OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) was released, so version 4 hasn't been fully tested on newer versions of OS X. That may or may not explain the problem you're running into now, but either way, we can definitely help you get 1Password 6 working, so you'll be able to use that instead.

It looks like you were able to find the exact version of 1Password 4 on your Mac (4.4.3). Can you also please let us know the version number of 1Password 6? To do that, please open the 1Password 6 app, then go to the 1Password menu and choose About 1Password. Please let us know the version number you see there, and also whether you're using the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store version.

While you have 1Password 6 open, are you still able to unlock it and see the data there? Does it still show only some of your data? If both versions were downloaded from our website, they should both be reading from the same exact database on your Mac, so all the information should be exactly the same. Or is it at all possible that you purchased & downloaded 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store? If so, that probably helps to explain why it shows different data, since the Mac App Store version uses a different database.

You should definitely be able to use a backup from 1Password 4 to restore your data to 1Password 6 if necessary. We can help you to do that, but we'll need to know some more details about your setup first. If you can let me know the answers to my questions above, we'll have a better idea of how to get this all straightened out. Thanks in advance! :)

• dmp
    dmp
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1 Password 6.0.1 (I'm unable to install updates until I get rid of version 4, but I don't want to do that until my passwords transfer).

Yes I did purchase 1P6 in the app store (didn't know that wasn't a good idea). And Yes I can open 1P6 and see the data.

Look forward to getting instructions for transferring my 1P4 data into 6!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @dmp!

Yes I did purchase 1P6 in the app store (didn't know that wasn't a good idea).

There's nothing wrong with purchasing 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store, it just happened to cause some confusion in this particular situation, because the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password store data in different locations on your Mac. 1Password 4 (AgileBits Store version) has all your latest data, but it sounds like 1Password 6 (Mac App Store version) found some older data somewhere else during the setup.

It should be pretty easy to get this all sorted out, and I think the best way to do that is to find a backup file from 1Password 4 and use it to restore all your data to 1Password 6 (which you had asked about doing). You should be able to do that by following these steps:

• In the Finder, click the Go menu and select Go to Folder
    • Copy and paste (or type) the following line into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups
    • Click the Go button (this should open your Backups folder for 1Password 4)
    • Find the most recent backup file in that folder and copy it to the Desktop
    • Open 1Password 6 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Click the Backup tab and click the Find Backup button
    • Choose the backup file from the Desktop and click the Add Backup button
    • Select that backup in the preferences (it might not be the most recent one shown there) and then click Restore
    • Follow any additional steps to restore your data

If that all goes as expected and you have all your latest data in 1Password 6 now, you can drag the 1Password 4.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools to do that).

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• dmp
    dmp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot, that worked! Now happily using 1Password 6 will all of my passwords :)

• @dmp On behalf of Drew, you're welcome! So glad to hear things are up and running again. :) Have a great weekend, and let us know if you need anything else.

• dmp
    dmp
    Community Member
    Options

Where's the like button on this thing? Really appreciate the help!

• @dmp Aww :) You can follow us on Twitter or like our Facebook page. If you want to spread the love, feel free to leave us a review in the App Store. We really appreciate that. :love:

This discussion has been closed.