One-Time Password Different than iOS [Caused by the time/date differences, make sure it is in sync]

DaveFL
DaveFL
Community Member

For some reason my one time password values in Windows are different than the value on my iOS device!

The iOS device is correct, the Windows Program is wrong! Not sure how or why but just setup 1Password on a new Windows 10 machine and synced via dropbox and this is what is happening.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @DaveFL,

Can you please check whether the time on both devices? The most common issue for a TOTP being different on two devices, is if one of the devices is set to a different time or a different time zone.

I hope this helps!

• ShaneEgan
    ShaneEgan
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

I have this same issue, my windows 10 PC refuses to sync time accurately enough (it's about a minute out despite setting the time to sync from the internet) therefore the passwords have expired. Grumble.

• ShaneEgan
    ShaneEgan
    Community Member

Seems like forcing the time update works:

Goto Control Panel -> Date and Time -> Internet Time -> Change settings ... -> Update now

• That's a good tip, @ShaneEgan, thank you.

It might also work choosing the same time sync server.

• king130
    king130
    Community Member

Same issue for me. Windows 10 is syncing time automatically, but there is still a difference in the TOTP in iOS and for Windows 10. Frustrating.

• MikeT
    edited May 2016

Hi @king130,

Try changing the time server on your PC or use the same time server that your iOS device is using. You can also try setting it manually if you want but we don't recommend it.

TOTP by its nature requires the precise timings to work correctly since it has to change the digit every 60 seconds, which means you do have to make sure all of your devices and computers are syncing time/date correctly as well.

This discussion has been closed.