Generic Account bug.

Options
reck
reck
Community Member

Taking a quick look through the forums it seems there's been a problem with generic account for a long time (years) and nothing has really progressed it seems in this area.

I've got a number of Generic accounts on Windows that I use for storing all sorts of information, it's a very useful catch-all type container.

• When I access these accounts on iOS they are viewed as login accounts instead of generic accounts. This makes no sense as the information I store in these of accounts do not contain login information and aren't used for that purpose. It also means I get irrelevant information displayed that isn't applicable to the information i'm storing such as URL's, scope, submit options etc.

• If I edit a generic account on iOS it actually converts it to a login account and sends this change back to the PC so that next time I view it on PC it's actually a login item. I chose to create these as accounts and not login items for a reason and now they are being automatically converted.

• I'm seeing duplicate items listed on iOS that are not present on PC. Passwords and usernames for instance.

There's obviously all sorts of issues with generic accounts when switching between my phone (ios) and desktop (PC). I suppose the obvious question is when is ios going to get support for generic accounts? I've seen posts dating back to 2014 about related issues but iOS still hasn't caught up in this regard.

In the meantime what are my options? Try and remember not to edit on iOS? Stop using generic accounts? Is there a list of "items" that are not supported on different platforms so I know when there may be issues?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @reck,

I apologize for the trouble. Cross platform consistency is definitely one of our long term goals, but that is a very lofty goal, and will take some time to complete.

I don't know of any plans to bring the "generic account" category to iOS. It is much more likely that eventually that category will be removed from Windows, as it is the only platform that has it, and those items would likely either be converted to Logins or Secure Notes at that point. As such moving forward I'd recommend creating such items as Secure Notes. We have a blog post that addresses this need available here:

AgileBits Blog | Secure all the things in Secure Notes

I hope that helps!

Ben

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I never really considered safe notes previously as you couldn't create custom fields. I understand this was added a few versions ago so it may well be a feasible replacement now. I will certainly look at this as it sounds like generic accounts may be removed from the PC.

How do I know which items are supported across platforms? Looking at just in the accounts section I see 11 different types, apart from generic accounts are there any other accounts I should stop using? I've alarm bells going off now and I don't want to invent time and effort creating items that are not supported cross platform and may get removed like generic accounts.

• Ben
    Options

@reck,

That is a really good question but unfortunately I don't believe we have a document that answers it. Certainly Logins, Identities, and Secure Notes are ubiquitous. Beyond that I believe the only way to tell would be to review the categories list on each platform.

Mac & iOS are identical. As such it is most likely that other platforms will conform with them in the future, vs Mac & iOS changing to match other platforms.

Thanks.

Ben

• reck
    reck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben,

I’ve made a post over on the Windows forum to see if anyone else knows about any other depreciated\non-cross platform items.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/59377/generic-accounts-issues?new=1

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the heads up, @reck. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.