Using 1Password in a PC Browser without installing the desktop client?

Options

Hi, I did a search but I didn't see this topic. I use 1Password across 2 PCs and an Android phone, using Dropbox to store the Agile keychain. It works great. I love it.

But I work for a Fortune 100 company and IT is coming down hard on non-approved software, and non-approved cloud services (including Dropbox). Therefore, soon, I will lose access to the Dropbox desktop application (first), and very likely, a forced uninstall of 1Password desktop on my work PC.

1) Can I run a 1Password browser extension in Firefox without the desktop application installed?

2) Could I store the vault/keychain on a USB drive and have the browser extension access my logins from there?

I understand this information then becomes static and I couldn't save new passwords from that PC, and I would have to manually update the USB drive from time-to-time.

But is this a potential workaround or must the desktop client be installed?

I'm looking for options because I'd rather not have to change password managers.

Comments

• Hi @digger1609,

Unfortunately, that isn't possible at all. The extension does not have that capability to unlock and decrypt your data, all of that is handled by the 1Password Helper process running on your computer as it communicates with your extension.

However, there may be a way to do this with our upcoming 1Password for Teams service. In this case, you would be able to access and modify your data via the Teams website within your web browser. The gotcha is that you would have to copy/paste your data in manually from the Teams site.

• digger16309
    digger16309
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I thought, but didn't think it hurt to ask. I would say the Teams option sounds pretty bulky and I'd just have that open in a tab most of the time to make that work. I did find a competitive solution that fits the need, which I guess I'll have to switch to when the corporate IT folks drop the hammer.

• Hi @digger16309,

I understand, I'm sorry to hear that.

It is possible in the future with Teams, we may be able to build a self-contained extension that connects to Team directly. It is something we're interested in doing but for now, we're just focusing on the core of the Teams service, anything is possible with that.

This discussion has been closed.