How to identify the latest 1password backup files

Options

On Jan 25, my hard drive quit. I do not have any backup of my passwords other than what is provided by Firefox. I have sent the drive in to one of the drive restoration companies. They have been able to extract some of my files. I see files from \users\username\documents\1password\backups\ in the list of files they were able to extract. They are charging me a good bit of money for this service. I want to make sure these 1password files will be usable. Is the AGILEKEYCHAIN_ZIP file the right one I need to get 1password running again?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Ikes_hotrod,

I'm sorry to hear about the hard drive. You should get the whole Documents > 1Password > Backups directory if you can. The reason is that if you have multiple vaults, 1Password backs up each vault separately. So, one backup won't contain all of your vaults, only one.

If you can't, the backups are in either .agilekeychain_zip and .opvault_zip formats. The full file name will contain the date and item count of the backup.

Here's an example: 1Password 2016-02-12 081109 (50 items).agilekeychain_zip. This says it was created on Feb 12 and it has 50 items in it, it is for the vault named 1Password.

You should also grab everything in the Documents > 1Password directory if you can.

If you were using Dropbox, you should be able to pull the latest copy of "1Password.agilekeychain" from Dropbox.

For the future, I recommend backing up your data on an external drive, you can do it weekly or monthly as these restoration processes doesn't always work and this would be very cheap as well.

This discussion has been closed.