Country choices for "identities" doesn't support UK, mechanism not smart.

Options
caBenR
caBenR
Community Member

The "Identities" item in 1Password6 should be useful. However at present I find a number of issues with it.

The most annoying is that there is a restricted list of options for "Country". There are many sites out there which themselves have restricted list for countries; unfortunately these don't always coincide. In particular, 1Password has "Great Britain". Far more common is for sites to offer "United Kingdom". When I'm shopping at a UK retailer, it will probably default the relevant drop-down to "United Kingdom" - when 1Password attempts to fill the form, with something which isn't in the menu, it ends up being unset (which on some shopping cards triggers a whole "you're a foreigner" thing). This is unhelpful.

(Point of information: "United Kingdom" is short for "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". If you have a list which has "Great Britain" instead of UK, it ought to have "Northern Ireland" as a separate option, otherwise there are a bunch of people who'll be left out. Your list doesn't. Same as if you replaced USA with "Continuous states of USA", and didn't offer a separate option for Hawaii.)

But there's a lot of inconsistency - Britain, Great Britain, UK, United Kingdom.

Good would be to add United Kingdom to your list.
Good would also be for 1Password to notice if it's selecting from a menu item which doesn't have the choice, and in that case to let it alone.

Better would be to allow multiple choices for country, use the first preference if it's a free text option, but find the first match if it's a restricted choice.

Amazing would be if I set UK as my country, and 1Password knew what common alternatives were and selected Great Britain if that was the nearest choice on offer...

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:credit card

Comments

• Good afternoon Governor. Fellow Blighty squire here and product designer on the team.
    I share your pains and we are constantly improving our localisation to spell colour as her majesty intended.

I went a little too English there but ruddyheck I will take a look at this for you and make sure we get better. Thanks for your feedback.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perhaps we should use UEFA's notion of country and list England, Scotland, Wales, and NI separately?

• caBenR
    caBenR
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps we should use UEFA's notion of country and list England, Scotland, Wales, and NI separately?

Nope. The point is to make it work with as many as possible of the websites we're trying to use it with...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @caBenR,

So what's surprising is at some point we did allow United Kingdom as that's what my Identity is set to. If I edit it though it disappears - very weird. Personally I think the best option would be to check for both UK and GB and match to whatever one the list has - have you ever come across one that has both? To be honest I've never thought of myself as being in Great Britain, I'd always say either Scotland or UK.

This would all be a bit easier if it weren't for our 'colourful' history.

• caBenR
    caBenR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drop...

Personally I think the best option would be to check for both UK and GB and match to whatever one the list has

yes, that's what I think would be best as well

Amazing would be if I set UK as my country, and 1Password knew what common alternatives were and selected Great Britain if that was the nearest choice on offer...

To be honest I've never thought of myself as being in Great Britain, I'd always say either Scotland or UK.

but it doesn't matter where we think of ourselves as, it's what each individual site offers as options

This would all be a bit easier if it weren't for our 'colourful' history.

but our history is irrelevant, lots of places have an interesting history, and I think this is likely a general problem for 1password users everywhere. Probably people in Hawaii or Guam or Puerto Rico sometimes need to select an explicit option, and sometimes select US; Vatican City might be Italy or not; Ireland/Eire/N. Ireland; etc. Former Yugoslavia? Is Crimea in Ukraine or Russia these days? and on and on. Hence minimum is to have either a free-text option or a really comprehensive list. Much better would be to allow multiple choices to be recorded, 1password selects the first one that a particular web form supports. And as we agree above, a wonderful (but honestly I suspect impractical) feature would know where you really are, and be able to select the best match from whatever a given web form offers.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for all your feedback about that! We'll be happy to pass that along to our developers, and perhaps we'll be able to make some improvements with the way Identity items work in the future.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• Hi @caBenR,

You make great points here. I've created a bug about this in our bug tracker as OPM-3849. Hopefully we can do better with this.

Rick

ref: OPM-3849

This discussion has been closed.