Master Password reverting to previous one all the time

Options
lucaluca
lucaluca
Community Member

I change my master password. It works and I use it. After a while (same day or on a later day) the master password reverts by itself to the old one. I change it again, same behaviour.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:strong-master-password, kb-search:master password revert

Comments

• Hey @lucaluca! That's not quite how it should work. :wink: Let's see what we can do to help. You reported that you're syncing with iCloud. Do you have other devices with 1Password? If you do, when you change the Master Password are the changes reflected on those devices as well or just on your Mac? What happens if you change it on the other devices rather than your Mac? Do things sync the other way?

• lucaluca
    lucaluca
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I do have other devices, but they are still set on sync on Dropbox and there's nothing on the Dropbox now, because I deleted the master file. I just checked and both my iPhones have now empty DBs

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lucaluca,

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you haven't set up iCloud sync in 1Password on your iPhones yet? Assuming you want to sync your 1Password data from your Mac to your iPhones via iCloud, you can set that up on your iPhones by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud

If you do that, you should be asked for your master password to complete the sync setup. Please let us know if it accepts the old or the new master password.

On your Mac, how do you notice when the master password reverts to the old one? Does it suddenly stop accepting the new master password, so you try the old one and that works instead? Does it make any difference if you unlock the main 1Password app or the browser extension / 1Password mini?

When it reverts to the old master password, do you lose any other changes you've made to items in your vault? For example, if you change the master password, then add a brand new item (like a Login or Secure Note), is that new item still there after the new master password stops working and reverts to the old one?

Thanks!

• lucaluca
    lucaluca
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, answers below :

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you haven't set up iCloud sync in 1Password on your iPhones yet? Assuming you want to sync your 1Password data from your Mac to your iPhones via iCloud, you can set that up on your iPhones by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud If you do that, you should be asked for your master password to complete the sync setup. Please let us know if it accepts the old or the new master password.

Simply because I didn't have the time yet to change the settings on the iPhones, that's why I left them unchanged so far :)
    I even forgot about that so I had to check after the first answer on this thread.

On your Mac, how do you notice when the master password reverts to the old one? Does it suddenly stop accepting the new master password, so you try the old one and that works instead?

Yes

Does it make any difference if you unlock the main 1Password app or the browser extension / 1Password mini?

I changed the password on the App. Then I mostly use it through the Browser App extension on Safari and Chrome, and on the Mini when I am looking for non-login data.

When it reverts to the old master password, do you lose any other changes you've made to items in your vault? For example, if you change the master password, then add a brand new item (like a Login or Secure Note), is that new item still there after the new master password stops working and reverts to the old one?

Nope, everything else is there. All the new stuff too. Only the password reverts. That's why I find it weird.
    Having done a lot of software development in my life I was looking for a pattern, since it happened a few times so far, but I couldn't find one...

Thanks!

• Hi @lucaluca,

Hrmmmm.... I can't think of a reason why this would happen exactly as you're describing, but I can think of a way it could happen nearly in the same way.

Are you using the AgileBits store version of 1Password by chance? I suspect that you are. We found a bug this morning in it where when you do a Master Password change, it isn't correctly uploading the password change to iCloud. This would mean that the password in iCloud is remaining the same older password. If iCloud remains with the old password, then here's what could be happening:

• Your new Master Password works on your Mac until:
    • For whatever reason you try the old password. Maybe you typo'd the new password and think that maybe you should try the old one
    • Using the old password manages to unlock the vault in iCloud, from which we can unlock your local vault
    • The app assumes that since you unlocked with a remote password you want to change your Master Password to what it had, so it changes what you've got locally to the old password
    • From then on the new password doesn't work until you use the Change Master Password function again.

Once we fix up the bug that's stopping the pushing of the new password up to iCloud, then doing a Master Password change would fix this issue for you. But that doesn't help you right now, and I can appreciate that this would be annoying. So here's what we're going to do...

• Please use the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data... menu item. This will remove everything from iCloud, but won't remove any of your data from your Mac.
    • Change your Master Password to your new password
    • Reconfigure sync to iCloud. This will push new data up to icloud, including your new Master Password.

Your old Master Password should now be history as far as the app is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Rick

• lucaluca
    lucaluca
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick,
    Interesting :) It is indeed the AgileBits Store version, not the Apple Store one.
    Very likely that this happened when I mistyped the new password, or even when I typed in the old one by mistake.
    I did reset and resync'd to iCloud. I will let you know
    Thanks for your help
    Best
    Luca

• No problem. Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• lucaluca
    lucaluca
    Community Member
    Options

No problem after the reset. It didn't revert back anymore. Thanks for your help !

• Woo! That's great to hear. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.