Can I create a vault for my kids that I control the master password?

Options
mgruby
mgruby
Community Member

Basically I want to be the only one that can change the password. I don't want her to access that vault through my primary vault. This allows me to look at the passwords anytime and, if necessary, lock out the vault by changing the password.

Another feature would be that any web browsing that requires a password and or ID would automatically store that information in 1Password.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How can I create a vault for my kids that I can control the master password?

Comments

• mgruby
    mgruby
    Community Member
    Options

I don't want her to be restricted from creating new passwords, only changing the master password.

• Hi @mgruby! Actually, there's a much better solution than using the same vault with different permissions. It's 1Password for Teams, which has some family options coming very soon. It allows you to sync things between you and anyone else you'd like, then control their permissions. Your daughter can access the vault, but there is no password for the vault. Instead, you both get unique accounts with your own Master Password and Account Key (used to secure your account even more) and you as the owner can set permissions for her user. It's much more powerful than sharing a vault via Dropbox or on the same computer.

I think you'll particularly want to give the Access Control article in our knowledge base a read for an idea of how to set things up. If you have any questions, feel free to let us know. :)

Another feature would be that any web browsing that requires a password and or ID would automatically store that information in 1Password.

We actually have a great browser extension for this. It works in tandem with the app. You can download it over here: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

To get started with things, check out our guide on saving a Login. Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.