Slow unlock since 6.0.2

Options
gelo
gelo
Community Member

Hi, since I upgraded unlocking takes a lot longer in both the app and the extensions.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• greencode
    greencode
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I'll second this. Whenever unlocking in Chrome it takes 2-3 seconds to unlock as opposed to instantly before this release.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gelo and @greencode,

I'm sorry it's working a little slower than before! I don't know why it would be any slower now than it used to be if the only thing that changed was the update you installed, so there are definitely some things we can try to see if it helps.

First, please try restarting 1Password mini: Open the main 1Password app, then hold down the control key and choose 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menu bar (or use the ⌃⌘Q (Control+Command+Q) keyboard shortcut). Now open the main 1Password app again - this should also start 1Password mini, and you can try unlocking the main app or mini / browser extension to see if there's a difference.

If that didn't seem to help, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, try unlocking 1Password again. Does that help at all?

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• greencode
    greencode
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. Still slow to open after entering password on both Macs after rebooting 1Password, rebooting the Macs etc etc.

• @greencode Could you try updating to the beta? A few other folks have reported slowness and it's been fixed for them in the latest beta. You can learn how to update in this knowledge base article. Let us know if it helps your issue! :)

• lagreca
    lagreca
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. When I go to unlock my vault, it takes 8-10 seconds, which is HUGELY annoying.

Rather than use beta software, can you let me know when this fix will be released for the stable version?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lagreca,

Sorry to hear you're also being affected by this! Have you tried restarting 1Password mini / rebooting your Mac as I described previously in this discussion?

If that doesn't help, I completely understand if you don't want to try the beta. I don't have a timeframe for when a fix will be in a stable update (or which update will include that fix), but it's easy to be notified when updates are available:

• If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac, the Mac App Store should alert you when there are updates ready to be installed (or you can open the Mac App Store and check the Updates section at any time).
    • If you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, it will notify you when updates are available as long as the option to check for updates is enabled in Preferences > Updates (or you can open the 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Check for Updates at any time).

I hope that helps, and sorry again that this is a problem for you! If you have more questions about that, please let us know.

• battis
    battis
    Community Member
    Options

I have also been noticing a slow unlock since version 6 (I wouldn't have pegged 6.0.2, but actually 6 itself as the change point).

After a number of reboots, here's what I see.

It's "only" a 5 second delay, but it feels like forever -- and it's consistent. My casual observation is that it's the full 5 seconds if I my computer just woke and I just unlocked it, but slightly faster (~3 seconds) if I re-lock the 1Password vault and then re-open it.

I had been wondering if it had to do with the new "combined vaults" view? I'm working with 4 or 5 vaults on any given computer, so could it simply be that it's taking that long, not to unlock, but to index and prepare the vaults for display?

• Hi @battis and others that are having slow unlock issues.

We just released 6.0.3.BETA-3 which includes a pretty massive change in how sync work gets scheduled. This may fix the issue for some of you... but not necessarily all of you. I'm curious to know for how many it fixes it. If you're running the AgileBits store version of 1Password and would like to help us test, you can opt into beta updates via the Preferences > Updates pane. Check for updates after that and you should be presented with the latest beta.

Rick

• battis
    battis
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@rickfillion, I just updated to 6.03.BETA-3 and the early signs are really promising: I put my computer to sleep, woke it up, unlocked 1Password and… it just unlocked! I'll keep an eye on it over the next day or two and let you know if I see slow-downs again (or not). Thanks!

• That's great to hear, @battis. Upon unlock a ton of sync work was getting scheduled. It took a lot of work, but I think we've corralled it nicely.

Rick

• gelo
    gelo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry for publish an update about this error so late, I've been pretty busy. I'm still getting long unlocking times. After reboot the mac it takes 15 to 20 seconds to unlock. However, next times unlocks almost instantaneously.

• rudy
    Options

Hi @gelo,

are you running 6.3beta12 or newer?

Rudy

• gelo
    gelo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rudy. I'm running 6.2.1

• rudy
    Options

Hi @gelo,

I'd recommend running the beta then, if you can, It has substantial changes that improve the slowness with unlock.

Rudy

• gelo
    gelo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rudy. I prefer to keep the data inside 1password out of any betas. I'll wait till a stable 6.3 is out if there is not another solution.

• rudy
    Options

Hi @gelo,

The only short term remedy I'm aware of is relaunching 1Password mini when it starts getting slow.

Rudy

• gelo
    gelo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, good to know. Thanks @rudy

• We'll work on getting 6.3 out as quickly as we can. I'm fairly confident that the fix for slow unlock issues went into 6.3.BETA-13, but we're continuing to monitor things.

Rick

• lrtitze
    lrtitze
    Community Member
    Options

Beta-13 appears to have completely resolved my longstanding issues with slow unlocking. My database has been in use since 1Passwd 1.0 and gradually slowed down as I approached my current 1853 item bloat!

Since the beta-13 update the unlock time has gone from 45 seconds to a delicious 2 seconds.

Excellent job!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's awesome news, @lrtitze! Thanks for taking the time to let us know Beta-13 seems to have solved that issue for you. If for some reason you start noticing the slow unlocking again, please let us know - but hopefully it's smooth sailing from now on. ;)

• lrtitze
    lrtitze
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG

Thanks for the quick response. I'll be sure to chime in if the problem returns.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• roads
    roads
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Hangs for at least 10 seconds after I login the Safari extension.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @roads,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message from the discussion where you posted it to this thread which I think is for the same problem you described. In the previous thread, the problem was that the OP accidentally clicked 'Unlock' without entering a master password when prompted to save a new Login item, and that caused 1Password mini to hang indefinitely. But if I understand what you wrote, after you enter your master password in 1Password mini, there's a delay of about 10 seconds before it finishes unlocking and starts to work. Is that correct?

If so, that sounds like the known issue being discussed in this thread, and you can find more information about it in this announcement: Experiencing slow unlock issues with 1Password 6? Please read this.

As that announcement explains, this should be fixed in the latest beta of 1Password for Mac. If you don't want to switch to the beta, the workaround is to restart 1Password mini by opening the main 1Password app and going to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• roads
    roads
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have no problems with betas, where do I find it please?

• roads
    roads
    Community Member
    Options

found it thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great, glad to hear you found it! Hopefully the beta solves the problem for you, but please let us know if it doesn't. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.