Mac, Win, iOS: Looking for a way to aggregate half a dozen vaults into one...

Thomas_U
Thomas_U
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Mac

...without loosing passwords and without generating too many duplicates.

I have the combined Win/Mac family license and am currently using 1P on these devices:

• MacBookPro and MacMini with 10.11.3 and Bootcamp Win10 on each;
  • Intel-PC with Win7, Win8 and Win10;
  • iPhone 4, iPhone 5s and iPadAir2.

Newest versions on all devices, in some cases latest betas.

In the past I did not take good care of keeping all these vaults in sync, just some of them. For syncing I have used WifiServer, DropBox and iCloud for some of them. So the Vaults are all in different states now, on some outdated passwords have been replaced by new ones already. Some contain new entries, some contain defunct entries that have already been deleted on others.

As 1Password to my knowledge does not contain a tool to help with this:
What would be my best strategy to aggregate all entries into one vault?

My own thoughts so far have been:

1. Shut off/stop syncing on all devices.
  2. Decide which vault is the best to keep in the beginning.
  3. Export/Save the vaults from the other devices.
  4. Import them one by one to the best vault.
  5. Manually check for duplicates and carefully decide which one to keep/delete.

But maybe there´s a better way that I can´t see right now.

I am willing to devote the whole next weekend to this mission and any hints would be gratefully appreciated.

@AgileBits: Feature-request for the next major update: Clean-up manager built into 1P.

Thanks everyone,

kind regards

Thomas_U

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:start new topic

Comments

• Hi @Thomas_U ,

I like your idea of a clean-up manager. We'll keep that in mind for a future improvement.

But for now, here's what I recommend.

1. Use the All Vaults feature. In 1Password on Mac, switch to All Vaults.
    2. In the sidebar, show the Security Audit and select Duplicate Passwords. This will at least show you items that have the same passwords, you can then inspect them and see if you have duplication logins, and delete any unneeded ones.
    3. After that, choose All Items in the sidebar, and sort the item list by title. Then go through and remove or copy the data from one duplicate item to another, and delete the other one.

Once you have done that, then you can move the items from one vault to another. If you select multiple items, you can move them all at once by choosing the destination vault within the Share command in the Item menu.

After you have moved the items to the vaults you want to keep, you can switch to the others and delete them using the Delete Vault command in the 1Password menu.

Finally, after that you can switch the Sync to the service you wish to use. I recommend Dropbox as it's ubiquitous across platforms.

I hope that helps you get your vaults in order. Please reply if you have further questions or wish to discuss it further.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed contribution. I´ll report after the weekend.

• Glad to help. Hope it works out well!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

It took quite a while as there were so many duplicates but now everything is stored in one vault. Thanks!

During the process I got several ideas of which elements could be part of a future clean-up manager. I also have some suggestions for improvement of the sorting filters. Who could I email these?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Thomas_U,

Glad to hear it's all cleaned up now! If you have any suggestions/requests/feedback, please feel free to post them here in our forums, or you could send us an email at support@agilebits.com - either way is fine with us. :)

We're here for you if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.