File Corruption During Move To Family/Team Vault

MikeSeb
MikeSeb
Community Member

I signed up for Teams (Families) and started moving a few items from my standalone vault to my new personal (Families) vault. Some items contained PDF attachments of between 42kb and 378kb; these were corrupted during the transfer into the new Families vault. They are now not openable.

Luckily I stopped further transfers, and the corrupt files are available elsewhere, so no real harm done. But it would be good to know how to stop this from happening again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi, @MikeSeb, and welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry for the difficulty with the attachments. Which client app were you using to move items between vaults?

• MikeSeb
    MikeSeb
    Community Member

1PW6 for the Mac, configured for iCloud sync, should that matter.

• Thanks, @MikeSeb! Yes, I need to get with @rickfillion, one of our Mac developers, to see if he has any ideas about what the problem could be.

Can you verify that you can properly open and view the attachments in your existing vault (not your family account)?

• MikeSeb
    MikeSeb
    Community Member

Interesting. It appears that file attachments for some items are corrupted in my legacy vaults as well. First I've noticed this. Some are PDF's, some are other formats. With the corrupted files, the name of the attached file is shown but it's pure text, with no file icon preceding the name to indicate it's a viewable file. Same thing with Secure Notes.

Not every attachment is corrupted; no obvious pattern.

I recently took advantage of your allowing iCloud sync with direct-downloaded apps (not App Store) to switch my sync from Dropbox to iCloud. I wonder if things didn't go awry then? It's rare I have to actually open up an attachment, so I've only just noticed this.

Just for grins, I shared (by Copying) an item with a "good" attachment (PDF) from my legacy vault to my Families vault. Worked fine.

So it appears the problem may have nothing to do with Families. Not sure what to do to recover the lost data. Not catastrophic, but pretty darn inconvenient.

• rob
    rob
    edited February 2016

Hi, @MikeSeb.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was expecting. We've had problems with attachments in the past, including corruption, unfortunately. You may find, though, if you're syncing your data across multiple devices, that you can view the attachments on some devices and not on others. In that case, you can recover the files from your other devices. Could you see if that's true in your case?

• Hi @MikeSeb,

I'd love to get to the bottom of that attachments issue. Losing data is obviously something that's unacceptable for us. It might be better for us to move this to email since I may end up asking you questions whose answers don't belong on a public forum. Can you email support@agilebits.com, and specifically mention "Rick Fillion" in the email? That should get me notified when the email comes in.

What I'd like to know to start off with is if you were using an AgileKeychain file in Dropbox at one point. If you've been a long time user (where I'll define long time as meaning more than a year) and using Dropbox, then you were using AgileKeychain (as opposed to OPVault). Were these attachments added while you were still syncing with AgileKeychain, or were they added after you switched from AgileKeychain to iCloud sync? Did you ever switch from AgileKeychain to OPVault? Do you still have the machine where you originally added the attachment?

If I can get the answers to those questions I can start to piece together what happened, and hopefully how to get those attachments working again.

Rick

• MikeSeb
    MikeSeb
    Community Member

Rick, thank you. Expect an email shortly addressing some of your questions. Many thanks.

• Awesome. Thanks, @MikeSeb. :)

This discussion has been closed.