Bit disappointed in the new version... expected an improved user experience

Sophia
Sophia
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Android

First of all, I love 1Password, so don't see this as harsh criticism. However, for me the Android version is almost impossible to use. I expected all (or most) of my issues to be resolved with the latest update, but alas... my main gripes have not been addressed.

I use the app several times a day... but it is almost crippling to use. Consider the steps I have to take - each and every time I need a login:

1. Click 1PW logo on my Note 4.
  2. Painstakingly type long and secure password - ugh! WHY couldn't you have added fingerprint auth on Android L while most if not all competitors have already done so?
  3. Click logo to unlock. Ugh! Logo clicking no longer works. Find little button on keyboard to unlock. Get error for entering wrong password. Repeat step 2. And again... gah. Move to step 4.
  4. Check Favorites if the password I need is there. Nope! It's not. Search for "search" button. Ack! It's not there... click menu.
  5. Click Categories. Search for "search" button. Nothing there...
  6. Click Folders. Search for "search" button. Nothing there either! What folder did I store that particular password in? Don't remember... back to categories then.
  7. Click Categories again. Is it listed under Memberships or Passwords? Or was it Secure Notes? Nope, wait, it's a website, so naturally it's under Logins, the last place I looked. I guess I could have clicked "all Items" too, but I'm confused by now...
  8. FINALLY! A search button! Ok I found the item I wanted...
  9. Click Username. Click Copy. Back to website, paste.
  10. Back to 1Password. SWEAR WORD! It got locked by default! Repeat step 2 and 3 a few more times. Click Password. Click Copy. Back to website, paste. Hit enter. CURSES! 2 factor auth required. Back to step 1. Copy auth code. AT LAST... I'm in!! Yay!

Please, team, I beg you, please please PLEASE make this process easier... I know you're very very keen on security but... please don't make me type my password when there are alternatives. Please add a search button right there when you log in... I don't want to sift through several menu items.

Of course, I since I have added a PIN code and unticked "Lock on exit", set automatically lock and automatically clear clipboard to Never which I know compromises quite a few security concerns HOWEVER... at least once a day I'm STILL required to go through most of these steps to get to one of my passwords. I don't want to use the 1PW keyboard which I know would eliminate some of these steps...

As I said I love 1PW and this is not meant to be nasty, I want you guys to be the BEST around so I hope my suggestion is helpful :smile:

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hey @Sophia. Thanks for getting in touch with us with your feedback today. :) I'll be happy to address the issues you brought up.

So the awesome news is that we have added universal search in our latest beta build, and we're planning on releasing it in a stable update very soon. I know this has been a big headache for a lot of people, but you'll be pleased with the next update. You'll be able to search from just about anywhere in the app. Keep an eye out for that update!

As for the other issue you brought up, Fingerprint Unlock in 1Password requires the fingerprint framework available in Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Right now, support for it is limited as this is the first time fingerprint authentication is supported natively in the Android OS. Fingerprint scanners before Android Marshmallow were implemented separately on top of older Android versions and specific to manufacturer guidelines.

Although the only supported devices right now are Google's Nexus 5X and 6P, we expect that as more manufacturers update existing devices to the new version of Android, we will see support for Fingerprint Unlock in many more devices. We're already starting to get reports from customers of Fingerprint Unlock working on beta versions of Android 6 on some devices, and we're hoping we may eventually see support back ported to older OS versions too.

In the meantime, you can enable a PIN code which will allow you to bypass having to enter the Master Password every time you launch 1Password. You'll still be prompted for the PIN when launching 1Password from the background. :)

I hope this helps a bit! Let us know if you have other feedback or questions. Thanks!

• Sophia
    Sophia
    Community Member

"So the awesome news is that we have added universal search in our latest beta build, and we're planning on releasing it in a stable update very soon."

That is awesome indeed, and will alleviate 99% of my headaches already :D Thank you!

As for the PIN code, I have enabled it but I still have to enter the master PW about once a day. Even that is once too often... so truly I can't wait for the fingerprint unlock feature. Guess I have to wait till my Note 4 is updated to Marshmellow... IF that is ever going to happen.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my concerns, I knew there was a reason I like 1PW and its developers so much :)

• We've published 6.1 to Google Play, so you should have access to that sweet universal search now. :) Hopefully that takes care of that headache for you! :)

Indeed, with the PIN code, you still have to enter the Master Password every time 1Password is exited from running in the background. However, as long as it stays running, you should only be prompted for the PIN.

Let me know if you need anything else!

• Sophia
    Sophia
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Heh, that is FANTASTIC, I love it! Thanks @peri for the follow up. I must say this is the fastest ever between me putting in a [s]complaint[/s] request and the update being rolled out 8-)

• That was absolutely perfect timing. :) It's one of my favorite things to be able to say, "Oh that thing you wanted? Yeah just update. We've already added it." :lol: It's not super often that it happens but when it does it's the best!

I'm so glad you're loving universal search! Keep us posted with any other [s]complaint[/s] requests!

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

I'm so glad you're loving universal search!

Just to be clear @peri, I was under the impression that search in 6.1 searches through Titles and URLs, with URL searching being a very useful new feature. However, that's not truly "universal" search is it, when there are many other fields and secure notes that are searchable from the desktop apps...

Also @Sophia, your Note 4 is likely to get Android 6 within a couple of months (depending on your carrier - YMMV). See here if you're interested:
    https://www.androidpit.com/android-marshmallow-update-overview-for-smartphones-and-tablets#Samsung

• It's a good point, @EnerJi. The search in 6.1 is not truly "universal" per se, but if you allow me to butcher the English language for a moment, it is more universaler that it used to be :)

Oh, and @Sophia, let me say thank you once again for sharing your experiences with 1Password 6 and helping us to improve. It's awesome customers like you that keep us moving forward. <3

And good luck with getting your Android 6 update! I think you'll love it.

• Sophia
    Sophia
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Thanks @EnerJi and @dteare - I guess Canadian carriers will be on par with the US concerning the upgrade 8-) I know my first post was a bit tongue in cheek but I'm really pleased with this new version. It has speeded up finding the right password for sure!

• That's awesome to hear, Sophia! It's always great to know when we make something better :)

Take care,

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.