how to change category of existing entries or batch copy and paste from old entry to correct entry

Options
odeleest
odeleest
Community Member

I've been looking how I can change the category of an existing entry but found this is not possible, nor can you drag and drop items from one category into another (with smart logic behind this adding the correct fields).

And I do want the categories to be right as that is very useful in 1password itself but also in the safari extension.

I found that I had included for example all my email accounts as logins, these are big entries with loads of information. The only way to get the category right is by creating new entries and filling out each of the cells of the new entry one by one . The challenges are:

• There is no option to change the category
  • you must create a new entry and copy and paste / fill out new all the information, but:
  • You can only copy and paste one cell at a time
  • This requires you to open one item, copy one cell, then close that item and open the other then paste it there.' There is no possibility to copy an entire section or multiple sections from one entry to a new entry.
  • You cannot copy all information from one "wrong category entry" over into a "new entry with the correct category" and then simply rearrange lines that were already correct or copy and paste cells over within that new entry all within one "window"

About the possibility to copy a full section that is also very useful for adding new entries. I found that I have many entries that contain the exact same "address" information but since I cannot copy at section level over I have to retype the exact same information over and over again.

So the following would make 1password a lot more easy to use / correct and finetune data / Wishlist:

1) Option to change "assigned category" (either drag and drop and/or via pull down menu) and have that "change of category" add the relevant (empty) sections, titles and cells.
Potentially with a warning that changing the category will only add the relevant empty category sections and cells to the existing item (i.e. requires manual correction as a second step).
So at least you can copy and past information from within one window.
And you can then at least in a simple manner correct your categories.

2) The option to copy and paste more then just one single cell at a time , but allowing a copy at section level or even allowing to copy all the information from one entry into another. I.e. to remove the hassle of having to copy one cell at a time from different windows which you cannot have open at the same time.
This way you can do a much faster dragging of entries to the right position or a copy and paste of a single cell to another cell but within one and the same window.

I like 1password but not being able to change the categories or doing a copy and paste of complete sections/complete entry makes it very hard /time consuming to make corrections.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:change category, ug:mac/categories, kb-search:how to change category

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@odeleest said, among other things,

This requires you to open one item, copy one cell, then close that item and open the other then paste it there.

Here is a way to ease the pain of this process a little bit. Open the record you want to move to a new category in the mini helper from the menu bar. Click on the anchor in the lower left corner to pin it to the desktop. Then create your record in the desired category in the main application. You can copy and paste from the anchored item without having to do the open-close dance. It's a help doing what you want.

Otherwise, you have clearly explained how the application works.

• Hi @odeleest ,

We do have a request open to revisit categories in the future, but for the meantime, hawkmoth's advice is recommended for now.

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We really do appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• odeleest
    odeleest
    Community Member
    Options

Hawkmoth, that is very helpful, tried it and that does show me the information in a second screen, thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad hawkmoth's suggestion was helpful! If you need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• trushar30
    trushar30
    Community Member
    Options

I am still lost - hawkmouth, where is the "mini helper" in the menu? I have version 4.6.0.604 for windows

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@trushar30 this is the 1Password for Mac forum. I don't use 1Password for Windows (as is the case for many users on this forum). I've not moved your post to the 1Password for Windows forum because the post won't make much senses standing on its own. :) You'll probably get quicker help by posting in that forum and explaining your problem there a little more fully.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Options

@trushar30: Sorry of the confusion! 1Password for Windows has the Agent/Helper, which serves a similar function to 1Password mini on the Mac. You can restart it from the Help menu in the app. The Helper does not, however, have the editing capabilities that the Mac version does. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.