Add to / convert existing choice for "save this login"

I frequently manually create passwords for sites. When I go to site and fill in the password, I am prompted to save the login. What I'd like to do at that point is to convert my existing entry to a login and associate it with that url. Or for sites with multiple urls, to add a url to an existing login. But right now I have to dismiss the prompt and go manually do the conversion (or more likely, be lazy, and don't convert, and be annoyed again by the prompt later).

This is analogous to how in iOS when you have (say) an email address, you can choose to "Create new contact" or "Add to existing contact".

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but searching for "save this login" and "convert" yields, umm, lots of results. :)

Thanks,
Josh

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: multiple

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Hi, @josharian. Thanks for your post. So, there is good news and bad news. First the good news: If you go to 1Password and right click on the Passwords section in the sidebar, you should see a Remove Redundant option. Click it and it should clean up generated passwords that are also found in a login for the same site. So, for instance, if you save a generated password for Twitter.com and then have a login for twitter.com with this exact password, it should remove the Password entry and leave only the login.

The bad news is that I just tested this and found that it didn't work for a Password I generated in the app. I played with this for quite a while before realizing that there was a defect in the way we set the "created at" and "updated at" timestamps in 1Password when you create items yourself. I'm not calling this a bug because it technically works the way we've programmed it, but I've opened a report to have this improved because when you create a brand new item, the created and updated times should be identical, and that's what prevented the Remove Redundant feature from working for the use case you mentioned. This is compounded by the fact that it won't be able to ever work for items that are already saved before the fix is in place. :(

What I would recommend in the meantime is to create the new password values after you've saved the existing one. Save the login using auto save or manually and then follow the steps for changing a site's password.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but I hope that workaround is useful.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

ref: OPM-3792

This discussion has been closed.