Version 6.1b3 notes: Sync icon, All Vaults, Vault Names, etc

camtech
camtech
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Android

Just some quick notes from using 6.1b3 on my Nexus 5X

First off, great job with v6! And for finally approaching feature parity with the iOS version. :+1:

Issues

• Sync notification: I know it can be turned off, but I think default-off is probably the way to go for that. I don't need a notification every time I open the app (somewhat unheard of, really). An in-app notification/updated/check mark indicator may be better. Also, you may consider using the standard Android "syncing" menu bar icon during the update process instead. iPhone has a similar icon. Seems fairly standard.
  • Finger print vibrate: The current success vibrate is really quick, almost hard to tell it is a double vibrate. Worth noting: the Nexus 5X general unlock is: 1 vibrate for recognized, 2 vibrates for not recognized, and no vibrate for "too fast." I have no idea if there are any standards or best practices for that. Is it even changeable??
  • Tags/folders: Perhaps all the OS teams need to get together and pick on this one. It seems 1Pw Mac has all but abandoned Folders in favor of tags (Folders do still exist). Yet folders are shown and tags are not in 1Pw Android.
  • Menu hierarchy: I was hoping this would change in 6, but the hierarchy is a bit confusing. If the "Settings" page is not 100% Vault-specific, why is it located under the individual vaults? I realize some settings are vault-specific, but many of the settings are global, which is confusing. Suggestion: Separate global and vault settings. Vault switching outside of the hamburger menu, and the hamburger menu dedicated to vault-specific settings. (Take that as you will). Technically global settings are still under a vault there, but at least they're visually separated.

Bugs

• [Fixed?] All vaults showing with incorrect "Primary" name (my first vault is called "Primary").

Let me know if anything needs to be expanded/clarified!

ps: Apparently editing a draft does not let you edit version number fields. ;)

Comments

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

My few cents: new Teams (Family in my case) vaults are not added to the app, same thing with name changes. I just created one, renamed another and after many syncs new one is still not visible and old name of the other is still in place in the app. Also, initiating Teams sync via swipe down works fine, but trying to do the same via Sync menu item only shows a toast about not being connected to any service (like Dropbox).

• Hi @camtech. Thanks so much for this thoughtful feedback. :)

Sync notification: I know it can be turned off, but I think default-off is probably the way to go for that. I don't need a notification every time I open the app (somewhat unheard of, really).

I'll go ahead and forward this request to our developers.

Finger print vibrate: The current success vibrate is really quick, almost hard to tell it is a double vibrate. Worth noting: the Nexus 5X general unlock is: 1 vibrate for recognized, 2 vibrates for not recognized, and no vibrate for "too fast." I have no idea if there are any standards or best practices for that. Is it even changeable??

The fingerprint vibrate pattern is indeed changeable. When the fingerprint is recognized, it should vibrate once, but it may be shorter or longer than the system vibration pattern.

Tags/folders: Perhaps all the OS teams need to get together and pick on this one. It seems 1Pw Mac has all but abandoned Folders in favor of tags (Folders do still exist). Yet folders are shown and tags are not in 1Pw Android.

Folders are supported for local vaults, but not for Teams and Families vaults. We use tags for Teams and Families instead. However, tag support hasn't yet been added to 1Password on Android. I'll pass your vote for parity here along to the team as well.

Menu hierarchy: I was hoping this would change in 6, but the hierarchy is a bit confusing. If the "Settings" page is not 100% Vault-specific, why is it located under the individual vaults? I realize some settings are vault-specific, but many of the settings are global, which is confusing. Suggestion: Separate global and vault settings. Vault switching outside of the hamburger menu, and the hamburger menu dedicated to vault-specific settings. (Take that as you will). Technically global settings are still under a vault there, but at least they're visually separated.

I can see how this can be a little confusing. We have plans to separate settings in the future so that it's more obvious they aren't specific to a given vault. I'll forward this feedback as well.

@revanmj This is an issue that we've recently become aware of and are hoping to have fixed soon. The issue prevents 1Password for Android from detecting vaults that were added after you added your Families account. You can work around it by resetting the data in 1Password and adding your Families account again. Let me know if that helps!

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member

@peri issue with vaults not being updated or renamed was fixed (at least for me) as of 6.2 beta :)

• Awesome! I'm so glad we were able to get that one fixed for this update. :) Thanks!

• camtech
    camtech
    Community Member

@peri Thanks for the reply!
    I didn't even notice folders were dropped altogether in Teams. Makes sense, I'm definitely a fan of tags. :)

• Yeah! Teams does not support Folders at all. Hopefully, this means we will see tag support sooner than later on Android. ;)

This discussion has been closed.