1Password local databases out of sync due to Dropbox problem

Options

I have 1Password installed on my home desktop Windows PC, my home Macbook Pro, my iPhone, and my iPad, along with a work PC. All of these were syncing to a shared 1Password database stored on Dropbox. Somehow my work PC stopped synchronizing with Dropbox, and now there are a great number of discrepancies between the database on my work PC and all my other devices.

I'd like to somehow resync/merge the 2 different instances of my database if possible. Ideally if there are conflicting entries for a given password/site, only keep the more recently updated entry.

Is there a basic process for this?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, Windows 7, iOS 9, OSX 10.10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @tbushart,

The first thing we need to figure out is why it stopped syncing. In some cases, it was because the Dropbox client itself stopped working on the PC and a simple reinstall of the client is all that needs to be done. In a few cases, we've seen that the user switched to a different vault and forgot to switch back to the Dropbox vault.

Lately, we're seeing more users saying Dropbox has been blocked by the work's network policy, so that may also be an issue.

The first thing to do is add a new text file on the PC and put it in the Dropbox folder to see if it shows up on the Mac or in the Dropbox app on your iOS devices. If it doesn't show up in either iOS or Mac, then the issue may be with the client on the PC.

If it does show up, then it is not Dropbox. The next step is to send us your 1Password diagnostics report from both the Work PC and the home Mac. Please use this guide to generate the report on both computers and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• tbushart
    tbushart
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox itself stopped synchronizing on the work PC. Reinstalling the client corrected that issue. But it went un-noticed for several months, so the relative data between the work PC and all the other clients is not in sync, i.e. passwords have been updated/changed/added in both instances. I will follow your instructions in the next few days and thank you for your guidance.

• Hi @tbushart,

Dropbox should be smart enough to handle the sync properly in that situation, it will use the latest timestamp on the files to make sure it is updated and if not, it will create a conflict copy that 1Password can try to resolve for you on the Mac/iOS side.

This discussion has been closed.