Backups no longer work after removing older version of 1Password

balinterdi
balinterdi
Community Member

Hey 1Passworders,

I had 1Password 4 installed for a long time and then installed 1Password 6 and the two existed side-by-side for a while. Then today I decided to remove 1Password 4 as it just added clutter (and occupied some disk space). I used an app uninstaller (AppCleaner) to remove it, and seemingly everything went fine, until 1Password tried to do its first backup. It fails with the error message "1Password failed to create a backup".

When I click "Show Files" in the Backup tab, it shows the folder at $HOME/Library/Application Support/iPassword 4 (so the folder for the old version of iPassword), which is a bit weird. If I launch a manual backup by clicking the "Backup Now" button, it also fails with the same error message.

Backup folder location

Could you advise how to fix this?

Thank you,
Balint

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:backup-faq, kb-search:1Password failed to create a backup

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Is your data still ok? App cleaners of any kind have a tendency to remove too much and there is a risk that the data was removed.

The 1Password 4 in the "show files" is correct even though you are using 1PW6.the data structure is exactly the same between 4 and 6, and AgileBits found that obvious renamings (such as just using 1PW or using 1PW6) had their own disadvantages.

I note that you referred to "iPassword 4". I take it that this is just a typo, but there is another password manager (maybe just for iOS) named iPassword, and people have sometimes bought the wrong one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @balinterdi,

I'm sorry you're running into a problem after deleting 1Password 4! As Danco mentioned, app cleaning tools can remove files that you still need for 1Password, and I hope you didn't lose your data. If you need to delete a copy of 1Password in the future, you can simply drag the app file to the Trash (if you don't use an app cleaning tool, none of the files related to 1Password will be deleted along with it).

If you still have all your data, and the problem is just that you get an error message about backups, you may be able to solve that by restarting 1Password mini. From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

Once you do that, unlock 1Password and go to File > Backup. Does that seem to work now, or do you get another error message? Please let us know how it goes, thanks!

• balinterdi
    balinterdi
    Community Member

Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your help.

Sadly things are getting worse. I restarted 1Password mini as suggested but it seems like I can no longer log in to 1Password (or 1Password Mini). The error I'm getting is "There is no vault. Please open 1Password app". I fear that is because some data is lost.

I could still drag something back from the trash but I'm not sure if it is of any use. The first screenshot is the current Application Support library, the second one is what I could salvage from Trash:

Alt text
    Alt text

It seems like the current database has been regenerated at the time I tried to log in (07:54am).

All this looks really bad and the hope I have is Time Machine backups that I do regularly. I guess I can go back to a version where both iPassword versions exist and then copy over the needed files? Is this the simplest solution? If so, what files do I exactly need to copy over and where are they to be found? If there is a simpler solution, how should I proceed?

Thank you,
    Balint

• balinterdi
    balinterdi
    Community Member

Furthermore, when I try to launch the browser extension, it fails saying "Looking for the 1Password app... The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly."

• balinterdi
    balinterdi
    Community Member

Ok, I restored the iPassword 4 and iPassword folders under ~/Library/Application Support from an earlier Time Machine backup (I actually copied the files over from the command line, the automatic Time Machine restore borked :( ), and now everything works as before (or at least it seems so for the time being :) ).

All my data is there and backups work.

Thank you for your help.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Hey @balinterdi,

Glad everything is working for you now.

This sounds correct to me. The folder ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ contained all of your data including the database, backups, attachments etc. The name of the folder is deceptive, but basically it's been the same folder for all releases since 1Password 4 (we haven't forced users to re-setup things ever major release). So it's best for you not to use an app cleaner on that folder.

You can however remove the backup files themselves.

This discussion has been closed.