Privacy between single licence users

Options
maniax
maniax
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Mac

the site says ' You, your spouse and your two children living in the same household use 1Password, each on their own Mac.
You can all share a single license.'
my question is (1) if i purchase a licence and install on my mac, and then install on my son's mac . Are they shared or separate ? ie would he be able to see my logins and passwords, (my view being i don't want any other machine i install on for another user to see my info and likewise his login/passwords are for him). 2. We don't want it top be associated to an apple ID and therefore want it to work for how you would purchase say anti virus software - ie 1 licence install on many machines - no links so other users just a product key. In short we would like the installations as separate entities - any syncing being just for my mac/phone and no sync to any of the other mac's in the household - so if he took his mac to college and someone happened to see 1password on his mac - my credential logins are not shared.

(i have currently bought the 1password for ios using a few months now ) and 2 days ago installed 1password for mac (free trial) from the agilebits website (not mac store) - i have synced 1password from ios to my mac already by wifi.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@maniax asked,

Are they shared or separate ?

The license is shared among the family members, but each person sets up a completely independent data set. Data is only shared among individuals if they decide to share through Dropbox.

We don't want it top be associated to an apple ID and therefore want it to work for how you would purchase say anti virus software

Then you should purchase your license directly from the AgileBits web store. That version is not tied to anyone's Apple ID. Your trial version came from there. You just need to purchase a license.

It sounds like you are all set up for yourself. When you buy the license from AgileBits, you'll receive an email acknowledgement with instructions for installing the license to your copy. Your other household members would use the same directions to install and register their copies.

BTW, you won't be able to share licenses for the Pro features for iOS. Those are activated though an in-app purchase, and Apple does not permit sharing of in-app purchases among different Apple IDs. And there is no way to avoid tying the licenses to an Apple ID, since all licenses for iOS must come from Apple and that's how they tie a user to a license.

Finally, you might be interested in a new product - 1Password for Families. It's sold on a per-month subscription basis, but it then included access for everyone in the family group to have access to the applications for all platforms without additional cost. It would still let you keep things separate, but there are some management features that might be useful, even when you kids leave home.

• Hey @maniax! It looks like hawkmoth has things covered very nicely here. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.