Family Account in addition to my main account?

ckummerow
ckummerow
Community Member

I have had a 1Password account for several years now. I answered the offer to set up a Family Account and was prompted to set up a name of the account and a password for it. I did that, then sent an invite to my wife. Now I am wondering if I missed a signal somewhere. Should I have added the Family Account to my main account? And if so, is it too late to remedy my error? Bottom line is I would like my wife (and possibly sons) to have access to some of my logins from my main account, but not all, obviously. How do I go about that now?
Family is

1Password Version: 6.02
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• ckummerow
    ckummerow
    Community Member

Family account name is Lamplighter.....

• jFred
    jFred
    Community Member

Create a shared vault in the Families web interface. Then "Move" the logins you want the rest of your family to use into that vault.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016

Hi @ckummerow,

It sounds like you've got a great start! Now that you have the Family account set up, you can add your Family account to your Mac app, which will allow you to move or copy items from your local vault to your Family vaults. Here's a guide that will take you step-by-step through the process:

Migrate to a Family or Team account

If your family members are new to 1Password, this guide will help them get set up with a Families-only version.

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help with. And thanks for using 1Password with your family! :)

• kamiobi
    kamiobi
    Community Member

I have also set up a Family account and was successful in copying my data from my Primary vault (original account) to my Family Personal vault. Now I have duplicates of everything which is what I expected to happen. Are there any suggestions for the best way to use the Primary Vault and the Family Personal Vault? Are there any reasons to keep the Primary Vault now that I have the Family plan set up?

• Hi @kamiobi,

If you've successfully migrated all of your items to your Personal vault on the Families account, then there likely isn't much reason to keep the Primary vault around. Note that currently the interface will not allow you to delete the Primary vault, but you can start over and instead of creating a new vault simply sign into your Families account.

Note that on iOS we do not currently have a true "Families-only" mode, so there will be a Primary vault that is hidden, but to the untrained eye it functions identically to the Mac.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.