Hi folks. From the first day I bought the 1 Password application, I have been unable to use it.

Options
gperczak
gperczak
Community Member

When I originally bought the app in 2014, I was able to use it once: to set a passphrase which I carefully wrote down and tested once to be certain that it worked. I then did not get back to opening up the app until a few months later. In spite of reviewing the passphrase carefully, then entering many, many variations against the possibility that I had made a mistake when I wrote the phrase down, the app has never opened since. There is no data inside it except the passphrase. After I despaired of every opening it, I attempted to several times remove it from my computer without success. I re-bought it last year, but have never been able to reach the "set password" screen. I had given up on the app until I found your website again today. My system in a 27" iMac running the latest Mac IOS update, El Capitan 10.11.3, with an Intel Core 5 at 2.7 GHz. Can you please, please help me? I need instructions on either how to remove and reinstall with a version which will show me the option to begin again with a passphrase, a way to find the old passphrase with accurate capital letters, etc, or a way to completely remove the app from my machine so that I can buy a different security system which will run properly. Thanks very much -- Greg P

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@gperczak these two knowledge base articles should help you:

My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

How do I start over with an empty vault?

Note that the instructions in the second article differ depending on whether you bought the app from the Mac App Store or from the AgileBits store.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gperczak: Indeed, it sounds like the best course of action may be to start over with a new vault. No one but you will have known the Master Password, so it isn't something we can 'reset' for you. If that were possible, 1Password wouldn't be very secure at all.

And if you prefer, you can use the Data Reset Utility to automate the process. Before we go too far, you should back up your existing data by selecting File > Backup from the menu bar. Then follow these steps to start over with a new vault:

1. Download the Data Reset Utility
    2. Double-click the ZIP file to decompress it (if your browser didn't do that for you automatically)
    3. Control-click on the tool and select "Open" from the shortcut menu
    4. Follow the prompts, and 1Password should give you the chance to start with a new vault

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.