1Password v3

etishberg
etishberg
Community Member

Hi there,
I am still running 1Password v3 and forgot my password so I'd like to know how to reset it.

Thanks...eli

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@etishberg - No one knows your master password besides you, unless you have given that information to someone else. This includes the 1Password people. And you cannot regain access to your data without the master password. You can't create a new master password without entering your old one first. Those are all part of the secure design of the application.

There are some hints that might help you remember your master password here: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

If those hints don't work for you, you will need to start over again from scratch. Directions for doing that are here: How do I start over with an empty vault? However, I note that this set of directions assumes that you are using 1Password 6, and you report that you have a much earlier one. I am not 100% sure the directions work for version 3, so it might be worth your time to wait for an AgileBits support person to come along. That isn't likely to take too long.

• etishberg
    etishberg
    Community Member

I already looked at the hints and document and appreciate that the password is only stored in my head ! The 'stsrt from scratch' document is great but doesn't seem to cover 1Password v3. I just downloaded a v6 demo so I will look at the v6 instructions for resetting passwords. Thanks...e

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be clear, it isn't possible to reset your Master Password, but be sure to let us know if we can be of any further assistance!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@brenty - Could you add the directions for starting over with version 3?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawkmoth: 1Password 3 is actually much easier: delete the /Library/Application Support/1Password/ folder and you're done. Even just removing the vault itself (which will be listed in 1Password Preferences > General) will have 1Password prompt you to create a new one — simple, because there's no internal database with 1Password 3 like there is with later versions. :)

This discussion has been closed.