Suggestion: Use a known NTP server when calculating one-time passwords

Options

On my work PC, the clock is off by more than a minute. The PC is joined to Active Directory and the time is synced by policy to our domain controllers, which have the wrong time.

In short: the clock is wrong and I am not allowed to set it to the correct time.

This means One-Time Passwords just don't work on my PC.

Suggestion: What if 1Password contacted a known NTP server to get the current time and used that to calculate its One-Time Passwords. Then they would always be correct.

In the meantime I'll use my iPhone when I need a One-Time Password. :-)

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 (1511 build 10586.122)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:one-time password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Suggestion: What if 1Password contacted a known NTP server to get the current time and used that to calculate its One-Time Passwords. Then they would always be correct.

@natevancouver: Unfortunately depending on the network that's not always an option. And keep in mind that this would also mean additional overhead for each query, and depending on connectivity this can be a real problem. For example, if your work PC isn't able to update its time properly, is it even able to connect to the NTP server? It's certainly an interesting idea, but one that we'd have to consider carefully before making that kind of change — which would really need to be done across all platforms.

This discussion has been closed.