Upgrade and secondary password

Options
SueK_2
SueK_2
Community Member

I finally upgraded from the original 1password. Is there an equivalent to Wallet that utilizes a secondary password for extra security in the new 1password? I can't find anything like that. Everything is just listed together. I'd like to separate personal ID stuff from accounts.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SueK_2: Indeed! In 1Password for Mac version 6 you can create multiple vaults, to help you organize or share information. But if you're just trying to view different item types, you can select them in the side bar on the left (instead of All Items). I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• SueK_2
    SueK_2
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@brenty Thank you. Does each vault have a separate password? I really liked that second tier of protection for SSN. I'm not sure it matters, though. I can't import the info from 3 to 6. 3 won't connect with my Dropbox and the 1password beta for Windows 10 crashes on opening. I don't have a Mac so I'm sort of stuck. I also had the pro version of 3 and can't get the pro version of 6 because it doesn't recognize my Apple ID. I upgraded phones and I think that's causing all kinds of problems. Sorry for the rant. Feeling very frustrated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SueK_2: Each vault can have its own Master Password, but the app will unlock with the Primary vault's Master Password.

It sounds like you have an existing 1Password vault. Is that correct? If so, can you tell me where it came from, where it is currently, and where you'd ultimately like it to be (for example, it's on an old Mac, but you really want to get it to your PC)? I'm sorry you're having so much trouble right now, but we'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• SueK_2
    SueK_2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I first bought 1password on my iphone4s a few years ago. I tried to upgrade when the new version came out with the lock graphic but didn't understand the vaults had separate passwords so I stayed with 3. I have since gotten an iPhone 6+ and thought I'd give it another go. I was able to import the data from the cloud from the original time I tried the new version but have been unable to import the new data. Things I've tried:
    1. Following the prompts in both the old a new version. That was when the new version got the old info.
    2. Downloaded 1password beta on my Lenovo ideapad 100s-141br with Windows 10 in hopes of syncing wirelessly. The app crashes on opening every time on the ideapad.
    3. Changed sync in my old version to Dropbox and I keep getting an error that indicates 1password is not accessing Dropbox due to an incorrect password. I can sync with Dropbox with the new version. The password is correct.

Since I don't have a Mac, after three days I gave up at this point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Changed sync in my old version to Dropbox and I keep getting an error that indicates 1password is not accessing Dropbox due to an incorrect password. I can sync with Dropbox with the new version. The password is correct.

@SueK_2: Aha! You're talking about 1Password 3 on iOS, aren't you? Okay, this is starting to make some sense to me. Thank you for the info! 1Password 3 on iOS cannot access Dropbox any longer, since Dropbox discontinued the service it was using back in 2013. That's why you're getting the error there.

However, it sounds like you successfully migrated your data from the old app to 1Password for iOS version 6 on your iPhone 6 Plus. Is that correct? If so, you're almost there. Instead of the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app, let's try the 1Password for Windows desktop app. Please download it here:

1Password downloads

Then make sure you've setup 1Password for iOS version 6 to sync with Dropbox, install Dropbox on your PC, and once it's finished syncing install and open 1Password for Windows. You can then have it use your existing vault in Dropbox and you should be all set.

Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• SueK_2
    SueK_2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you! I'm about to head to my Grandson's 16 th birthday. (Stay off the roads in Northern Illinois)! I'll try when I get back and let you know.

• Ben
    Options

LOL! Very good. Keep us updated. :)

• SueK_2
    SueK_2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty YES! Success! Thank you so very much. Now I get to play around with the new version. Any ideas on why it's not recognizing my apple ID in order to restore the pro version? If not, I'll go ahead and pay the 9.99. It's worth it!!!! Have a great weekend.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SueK_2: Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome!

Regarding the Pro Features, keep in mind that in-app purchases cannot be shared between Apple IDs. I just wanted to mention that right off the bat in case it applies to your situation.

Otherwise, in order for the App Store to validate the Pro upgrade (or any other in-app purchase) on each device, you'll need to both install the app using the Apple ID used for the purchase, and also be logged in to that Apple ID when restoring it in 1Password.

If you use Family Sharing or different Apple IDs at all, it's unfortunately easy to install the app using the wrong Apple ID, which would prevent the App Store from validating it even if you try to restore while logged in to the correct Apple ID.

The remedy to a situation like that is to backup your 1Password data and then reinstall the app, making sure you do so using the correct Apple ID (you can verify this in your purchase history, or on the email receipt). If you've already purchased it using this Apple ID, there's no reason to re-purchase it. I hope this helps! :)

• SueK_2
    SueK_2
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty It's been so long since I made the original purchase, I have no idea what ID we used. We've had iPhones since the very first one came out. You guys are worth the extra $$$. Have a great weekend and thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, I have to say, we really appreciate your willingness to support us! We couldn't do what we do without you and the rest of our awesome customers. Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.