Why does 1PW 'disappear' after being used in Safari Extension?

Options
three-cushion
three-cushion
Community Member

Extensions as used in Safari allow me to launch 1PW while I am at a Site. I need 1PW to fill in the userid/ pw to open the site. OK, that is handy. However, many sites I use DO not allow fill-in...as in the Capital One online credit card site. So, if I forget and as for auto fillin , it doesn't fill...then 1PW disappears?? Why can't 1PW stay up so I can pickup at least the PW and then fill-in the userid manually followed by a ' paste' of the PW? After A refusal at an auto fill-in I I have to re-load 1PW using the Safari Extension again.....not a very user friendly action and is annoying. why so many launches of 1PW just to open one of those sites that resists auto fill in?

1Password Version: 6.2.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.2.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Additional note.. The iOS version OS Safari is where I have the problem it does not allow a permanent 1PW in the address Bar line...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Additional note.. The iOS version OS Safari is where I have the problem it does not allow a permanent 1PW in the address Bar line...

@three-cushion: That's correct. I'm sorry of the confusion! It is not possible for iOS extensions to keep a button at the top as on desktop browser. Any time you want to access an extension — 1Password or otherwise — you'll need to open it from the Share [ ↑ ] menu.

However, many sites I use DO not allow fill-in...as in the Capital One online credit card site. So, if I forget and as for auto fillin , it doesn't fill...then 1PW disappears??

Unfortunately you're running into another common problem, this time with Safari. As a CapitalOne customer myself, I am intimately familiar with this. Because their site has the login form in a separate frame (sometimes you can even see this because it will load separately from the rest of the page), Safari does not allow access to it. This is a security feature, since you can only see the URL of the main page, so you could (in theory) be interacting with a completely different website (potentially malicious — either way you wouldn't know) inside a frame. There simply isn't any way for 1Password to interact with those. Perhaps it will be possible in the future though.

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Brent's...thank you for a precise answer. I don't see Too many sites that use the separate frame feature for login. Can you tell me why they do this? Is this a security feature of Capital One...on purpose? Usually I find frames used for precise purposes such as ads, try a new feature, etc. Or, did they do this as a design feature? Or, it Could be legacy SW that got subsumed by new SW? Thanks again

• Ben
    Options

Frames have fallen out of favor in recent years, but some sites, for reasons larely unknown, still use them. I'm not aware of any security advantage to using them. In some cases it may be because they want to include the same content (e.x. a login form) on multiple pages without having to include the code for that content on each page. Instead they pull in the content as a separate page, so that any updates they make to that second page will be included on all of the pages that have the frame. There are better ways of doing this today, but some developers still choose to use frames.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And honestly in the case of CapitalOne, I suspect it's just a design decision made long ago, and they're stuck with it until they redo the site. It's been like that as long as I can remember — and I think that's my oldest credit card account. :dizzy:

This discussion has been closed.