How can I sync between an iOS and an Android device without using Dropbox?

Options
bruno_m
bruno_m
Community Member

Hello,
my problem is the following: I have changed from an apple iOS device to an Android device. Now I would like to sync the vault in order to avoid to retype all the passwords and logins manually.
I tried to copy the vault by the backup via iTunes option on the iOS device. But when I unzipped the Zip file and copied the vault to the Android storage, the Android version didn't want to find the vault in the folder where I put the iOS vault.
Personally, I wouldn't like to use Dropbox to sync the vault.
Is there any way to copy the vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8, Andr
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I sync between an iOS and an Android device without using Dropbox?

Comments

• Rudyard
    Rudyard
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi bruno_m. Not sure if it's the actual problem in your case but I know that iOS devices use the OPVault format for storing 1Password vaults. Last I heard, 1Password on all versions of Android still uses the Agile Keychain format and has not been updated to using OPVault yet. I currently sync passwords between my iPad and Android phone via Dropbox and had a bit of a challenge making the two work together due to Android not able to use OPVault format yet and for now have opted to use Agile Keychain. Hopefully AgileBits has OPVault high on their future update list to resolve this discrepancy between 1Password for Android and iOS for us multi-platform users. Good luck!

They have some instructions on switching back to Agile Keychain with a desktop platform such as a Windows or Mac here: https://support.1password.com/switch-to-opvault/mac.html

Also, you might not want to use Dropbox but it seems to be the easiest way; the sticky at the top of this forum has some info on how to create an Agile Keychain Vault and merge your OPVault data to it here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58141/current-sync-options-in-1password-for-android#latest

• peri
    Options

Hi @bruno_m.

There isn't a way to sync directly from iOS to Android without using Dropbox. However, if you have access to a Mac or PC, you could sync your vault from iOS to your computer, and then migrate your vault from the computer to the Android device.

As Rudyard mentioned, we'll also need to make sure the vault is in the correct format to sync on Android. Can you let me know if you have access to a Mac or PC, and whether it has 1Password installed already? Also, if you look at your sync settings on iOS, is your vault in .opvault or .agilekeychain format?

Thanks!

• bruno_m
    bruno_m
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @peri,
    thank you for you fast reply.
    I do have access to a PC, with Win Vista but I do not have 1Password installed on my PC.
    On my Android device I have 1Password 6.1 and on my iOS device 1Password 5.5.
    I'm not quite sure which vault type I have on my iOS device. When I save the backup file from iTunes I just have a folder. In this folder there is only a 1p4.zip file. How can I now see if I have a .opvault or .agilekeychain vault?

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the info, @bruno_m. Your iTunes backups can only be created and restored on 1Password for iOS, so we won't be able to restore that backup using 1Password on another device. However, you can configure sync between your iOS device and PC.

I'd like you to download the free trial version of 1Password 4 for Windows, and configure Wi-Fi sync between your Windows and iOS devices.

Once you have your vault on Windows, you can either manually move it or Wi-Fi sync it with 1Password on Android.

Let me know how that goes!

• bruno_m
    bruno_m
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for solving my problem, @peri .

• peri
    Options

No problem, @bruno_m. I'm glad I was able to help. :)

• qqerqe
    qqerqe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @peri,
    I have a similar problem where I'm going from an iPhone to a Samsung. At this point, I've already wiped everything from my iPhone because I had assumed I could just log in once I re-downloaded the app on my Samsung. Is there any way to retrieve my vault and all my passwords?

I do have a 1Password Pro installed through my work laptop which is an Macbook. Does this help in any way?

Please help!

• saad
    Options

Hey @qqerqe! I would love to help.

If you are not using a 1Password account, then by default, we do not store your 1Password data anywhere outside of the device’s storage. You have the option to configure sync with a cloud service to share the encrypted data between your devices. Do you remember if you had configured sync on your iPhone or if you were using a 1Password account?

This discussion has been closed.