xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app
xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 6.app
Cannot install browser extension
Please advice

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini, ug:mac/, kb:import, kb-search:1password fails starting, kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• jmbroek
    jmbroek
    Community Member
    Options

Found solution for 2. First uninstall old version of browser extension

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app
    xattr: No such file: /Applications/1Password 6.app

@jmbroek: Are you perhaps running the Mac App Store version of 1Password? If so, this command will fail, as the App Store version is named 1Password.app — not 6.

Can you tell me the problem that you were having in the first place? Or was that something with the browser extension, which is now resolved? Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• jmbroek
    jmbroek
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Yes I am using Mac App Store version. The browser extension issue is solved already.
    The problem occurred whilst installing te new version of 1Password. I read the 3 top most messages in forum. After a while were able to start the new version. Almost no problem left. I would still like to learn the proper usage of xattr. The 1Password.app --no6 (?) name didn't for me yet. Could you give the full line? Thanks.
    JM

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The 1Password.app --no6 (?) name didn't for me yet. Could you give the full line? Thanks.

@jmbroek: Ah, sorry about that. I had some trouble finding a way to format it so it made sense.

The command you used (xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app) only applies to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, since it has a filename of 1Password 6.app. For the Mac App Store version, the command would be xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password.app, but this is only necessary if OS X has set and failed to remove the quarantine attribute on an app — and if 1Password is working for you you're not suffering from that problem.

I hope this helps. be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• jmbroek
    jmbroek
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Thanx.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Brenty, you're most welcome! If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always glad to help! :)

• TerryNick
    TerryNick
    Community Member
    Options

Having same problem. Running app store version of 1Password. Tried the Terminal command above without the "6" but received long series of messages "permission denied". I am logged into the correct account. Can I just redownload 1Password from the App Store?

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @terryNick,

The name of 1Password from the App Store would be just "1Password.app" and not "1Password 6.app"

So technically you would run the command

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password.app

But what is the actual issue you are experiencing? The same issue as jmbroek with the extension?

• TerryNick
    TerryNick
    Community Member
    Options

When that command is entered in the Terminal I receive a series of error messages: xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/1Password.app/Contents'
    xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/1Password.app'

I have tried trashing the 1Password app and redownloading from the App store but still cannot load 1Password. Tried entering that command in Terminal and got the "Permissions denied" message.

I am logged into my account on the machine and the App Store.....

• TerryNick
    TerryNick
    Community Member
    Options

hey, I tried logging into my Admin account on that computer and was able to open and use 1Password. Connected and loaded all my passwords. So how to get it working on my user account?

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @TerryNick ,

I'm sorry you're having trouble opening the app. What is the error message when you try to open 1Password from your non-admin account?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• TerryNick
    TerryNick
    Community Member
    Options

No such file: /Applications/1Password 6.app. Then following the directions here I copied the command into the Terminal without the "6" and got: Applications/1Password.app/Contents'
    xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/1Password.app', repeated many many times......Then I moved 1Password into the trash and re-downloaded the app from the App Store and repeated the above, getting the same error message.
    Finally, I logged into my Admin account on the computer and 1Password opened correctly.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TerryNick,

Thanks for letting us know the error messages. If I understand, you're actually running into a couple different (but related) problems: The original problem is that you can't open the main 1Password app, which is why you tried that Terminal command. The other problem is that you get an error when entering that command in Terminal. Is that all correct?

I believe you're getting the "No such file..." error when entering the original 'xattr' command in Terminal, right? If so, I think we'll need to know more about what happens when you try to open the 1Password app. If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac and double-click the 1Password.app file, what happens? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

Thanks in advance! :)

• TerryNick
    TerryNick
    Community Member
    Options

Should have said at beginning of post, when opening iPassword app get message, "Failed to connect to 1Password mini". When I clicked on "Learn More" button it directed me to 1. Try Again, 2. Restart, 3. Use the supplied Terminal Command. Then I proceeded as outlined in my 1:51 post above.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @TerryNick! To help us figure out why that's happening, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• TerryNick
    TerryNick
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID is #EKL-19333-649

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @TerryNick! We received your report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: EKL-19333-649

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And just to clarify for anyone else visiting this discussion, since 1Password.app isn't downloaded from a website but rather the Mac App Store, it won't have a quarantine flag (which is given to downloaded files to warn the user the first time they're opened). The xattr command only applies to 1Password 6.app — the AgileBits Store version. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.