Suggestion: 1Password for small families/individuals

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Families

To be honest I'm not sure about Families yet. I definitely see (some) added value, but I'm not sure whether that's worth $5/month in my particular case (I'm having a hard time to convince my family members to use 1Password). I'm currently also a LastPass Premium user and $1/month is a no-brainer for me. I would definitely move from using Dropbox to Families if the program was also available for individuals for $1/month (same price as LastPass), with the option to add additional users for $1/month (so starting a "Family" of 1 instead of 5). I'm not sure whether that would be cost-effective for AgileBits though...

Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• t1g3r
    t1g3r
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat, have LastPass premium, and purchased copy of 1Password. Using iCloud sync but would love web access capability, but that is in Famalies product. Families is expensive for one user, would love to see maybe a $1.99 to $2.99 price point for 1 user, which makes it a bit more easier to accept for a single user.

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

Totally agree with @t1g3r @XIII and @Bernfrin

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your input, everyone!

1Password Families comes with a lot of benefits (all of our apps across platforms are included in the subscription price, as is web access, seamless sync, etc), and there will be a discount for annual subscriptions, not to mention the early-adopter benefits. Over time, I'm not sure that 1Password Families will be more costly than buying our apps outright.

All of that is to say: as far as I know, there are no plans to offer lower pricing for individuals. I've passed on your feedback, though, because you never know what might happen! :)

Please let us know if you have any other suggestions!

• t1g3r
    t1g3r
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response Aleen! Hopefully we see some kind of individual user option, but just so I can understand, if I were to pay for the subscription up front, there would be 2 free months, bringing the cost down to $50?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

@t1g3r,

• Everyone who signs up for 1Password for Families gets the first month free. Normally, after the first month, you'd have to subscribe (at $5/mo) to avoid having your data go into read-only mode.
    • Currently we are running an early adopter special (you can read about on our blog, link below) which grants an additional two months (in the form of a $10 credit) as part of the base price. I do believe a credit card will need to be added to the account before these additional months will become available.
    • Finally we have a set of Quests within the app that help you setup your team and make you and expert. Once you finish all of them you get an additional month free.

That is, currently, a total of 4 possible months free of charge. Additionally we'll be offering a 20% discount for anyone who opts to pay annually, instead of monthly, which should bring the price down to ~$48/yr. But really it is essentially ~$48 for the first 16 months (when you figure in the months you get free). Math isn't my strong suit, but I figure that brings the cost down to about $3 / mo for the first year. That is certainly a deal that I personally am willing to take.

Early adopter details (there are a couple other perks besides the free months):

AgileBits Blog | Introducing 1Password for Families

All pricing mentioned is in USD, and as I mentioned math is not my strong suit. ;)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

@Aleen thanks for the reply.
    Just to be clear, i can understand that new user have to pay to have the APP and the new Family Features.
    But for (old) buyers that have bought - like me - in the past every update that comes out for 1P for iPhone/iPad, 1P for Mac, 1P for Windows ... the new Family feature shouldn't be totally FREE ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But for (old) buyers that have bought - like me - in the past every update that comes out for 1P for iPhone/iPad, 1P for Mac, 1P for Windows ... the new Family feature shouldn't be totally FREE ?

@face: That's part of the reason we're offering the early adopter special (with free months and other bonuses). However, it isn't feasible (or sustainable) for us to offer 1Password for Families for free in perpetuity to someone who bought the standalone app(s), as there are recurring costs involved in running the service. That's why it's a subscription.

Honestly, I think that between the free months (1/3 of a year, if you take advantage of it) along with the other bonuses which are perpetual (extra storage and members) it's a great deal, though it depends on your priorities and point of view.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@t1g3r, @Bernfrin, @XIII, @shark_coffee: Speaking of priorities, point of view, and the idea of value in general, I'd love to hear more from different perspectives on the idea of an "individual" plan. That's pretty vague, so I'll see if I can be a bit clearer:

For me, the primary value of 1Password for Teams/Families is the ease of sharing between team/family members. Obviously there's a lot more to it than that, but that's what makes it appeal to me most. Given that, I'm wondering what you'd value most about an "individual" plan. Let me know what you think! I can't promise it's something we'll do, but it's certainly something we can consider for the future. :)

• t1g3r
    t1g3r
    Community Member
    Options

I think the individual plan helps to get users accustomed to service before pushing into a families plan. For me, my significant other is not computer savvy and it will take time for me to get her to even try a password manager, so I would not want to pay a higher price for something that may never get used, especially if it is just me.

The biggest benefit is not having to deal with other sync technologies, such as dropbox or iCloud, as a user of a few different operating systems, this brings ease of use and web access.

I understand the cost to run infrastructure and keep software up to date, so a higher price point for an individual makes sense, but the value will come in a families package, just some people do not need the entire package at the moment.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty As I already stated in my initial post I suspect I will (initially?) be using 1Password for Families with only 1 member; me. I still like this new product because it offers web access and syncing no longer depends on Dropbox. It's harder to assess the value of getting the Apps for free as well, as I already bought v4 for both Windows and Mac (and got free updates to v5 and v6 for Mac; thanks!). I also bought the iOS App for myself and all family members when it was not yet Freemium (3 separate purchases), but they are (still) not using it. Based on that (web access, syncing service, free Apps, 1 person) in my case the offering is thus kind of comparable to LastPass Premium (which I still use), which has a better price/performance ratio with a price of just $1/month (I'm not completely fair here; the 1Password iOS and Mac Apps are much better than those from LastPass!).

However, I do understand that the name is "1Password for Families" and I'm thus maybe not in the target group. For $1/month I would subscribe without hesitation and if each additional member is also $1/month (instead of $5 at once, even with less than 5 members) I could add a single family member whenever they are ready to join the service.

• t1g3r
    t1g3r
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like we all have the same thought process for an individual, which makes sense. I cannot justify a higher price tag of $5/month for just one person, many other cloud password manager products start at the individual user and it would be nice to see the same with 1Password for 'families'.
    Would love to stay with 1Password as I am a fairly new user and slowly moving over to it, but again, the higher price tag is a bit difficult to justify for this offering.

• shark_coffee
    shark_coffee
    Community Member
    Options

I totally agree with you guys @t1g3r @Bernfrin @XIII.

1Password team need to tackle the price per person in the plan carefully so that it gives more room for flexibility and customization - as each family and individuals are unique.

The idea of web interface and independency from Dropbox sync would make the experience much better for both existing and new users.

Oh yeah, I do think the $1/pax is a great idea ;)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hey folks, if the price for Families isn't attractive, remember that the standalone applications, with their one-time license payments, remain available. AgileBits has committed to keeping them up to date. So there is already an option for that single user. So no one is being pushed into Familes. If it's priced too high relative to the benefits you get, don't buy it.

I know AgileBits touts the ease of keeping data synced with Familes. It is easier, in the sense that you never have to do anything extra to make it work. But I have to say, Dropbox and iCloud syncing are dead simple too. And security does not depend on the security of cloud service in any way. That's the same for Families.

(This is a personal speculation, based on no real knowledge, but I would not be very surprised if the next major version of the standalone Mac application requires an upgrade payment. There hasn't been one since version 4 came out.)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure that they "need to"; it might depend on how many users will not subscribe when the plan starts at $5, but will subscribe for $1/month plus whether AgileBits can still make a (small) profit at $1/month/user (or anything else below $5/month). And you probably need to add free versus paid App upgrades into this calculation as well. So hard to tell...

I most definitely would appreciate it if they did though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey folks, if the price for Families isn't attractive, remember that the standalone applications, with their one-time license payments, remain available. AgileBits has committed to keeping them up to date. So there is already an option for that single user.

@hawkmoth: You make some great points. There's certainly something to be said for not having a subscription. And to be completely, since the apps can be used by themselves and/or with 1Password for Teams/Families, we're absolutely committed to continuing to improve them for all of our awesome customers. :chuffed:

@Bernfrin, @t1g3r, @XIII, @shark_coffee: Wow! That was fast! Thank you all for the feedback! It sounds like there are two common desires shared here (in addition to better value for a single user): moving away from sync services, and access to the web interface.

Anyway, thanks so much for clarifying that for me! Obviously 1Password for Families fills a different need for me (though the web interface and getting away from sync setup are each a big plus!) so it helps to get some additional perspective. To be clear, I don't know that we can go lower than 5$ per month. If a lot of data with 1Password for Families is shared, it wouldn't actually cost much less (if at all) to host a single user's data in comparison. We'll continue to evaluate the idea of "individual" plans though. :pirate:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for introducing a plan for individuals!

"Unfortunately" the pricing makes the Family plan more interesting ;)

(4+2 extra people for $2/month; I think I should try again to convince them to use 1Password)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

I’m so glad you noticed the new plan! You’re right, there are some definite advantages to the Families plan ... Obviously I’m completely biased, but I’d say it’s worth a try converting your family. After all, it’s our secret goal to ensure that everyone has access to simple security so that developing good password habits is the easy thing to do. ;)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Those family members all have at least one iOS device with Touch ID now. That might help...

If only there was something similar for their Windows PC's...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

Don’t worry! Our developers are working hard to get 1Password for Windows ready for prime time, and it’s getting really close! I’m pretty proud of the work that they’ve done, and I think that soon your family will have an awesome option for using 1Password on their Windows PCs. Stay tuned to our blog to make sure you don’t miss the big release. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I'm downloading each new build and trying that on my Windows 10 PC...

However, my statement was about the lack of Touch ID to log in on Windows (which cannot be solved by AgileBits).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

Whoops, I should have known that you’d be on top of the latest and greatest already! My bad.

I can understand how the Master Password can seem a bit daunting, but I’ve found that the wordlist generator is a great option for creating passwords that are secure, and yet fairly easy to remember. It’s not quite as awesome and convenient as Touch ID everywhere, but it’s a start. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for reminding me of that password option! I might switch from Gibberish to a word list for them.

Is the word list still English only? It would help a lot if they could use native words instead!

I'm not supposed to translate them, as that might not have the same security/entropy?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2016
    Options

However, my statement was about the lack of Touch ID to log in on Windows (which cannot be solved by AgileBits).

@XIII: I hear you. I kind of hate Windows Hello. It exists at least, but it's not available on many devices and it's a bit flaky at times. :lol:

Thank you for reminding me of that password option! I might switch from Gibberish to a word list for them.
    Is the word list still English only? It would help a lot if they could use native words instead!

Yes. The 1Password Wordlist has been carefully curated...by folks whose primary language is English, so we don't have an alternative currently. It definitely isn't easy. Even native English speakers let some less-than-savory words slip in there which subsequently had to be removed. So doing the same for a secondary language would be even more problematic.

However, Diceware™ is a thing, and there are some decent localized lists out there. It isn't ours and frankly the Wordlist has a lot more entropy, but in a pinch 5- to 7-word Diceware passwords can help.

I'm not supposed to translate them, as that might not have the same security/entropy?

Yknow, that's a really interesting question. I'm not sure anyone can answer that definitively, since we end up in this super deep rabbit hole of mathematics+linguistics, but my sense is that if there's a 1:1 match between each of the words you're translating that should be fine. In that case, the words are still being chosen randomly and simply converted to another language. Where you might run into trouble is with words where there is no clear equivalent, since then you'd be introducing human bias. Fascinating.

This discussion has been closed.