Can't edit when linked to Dropbox? [Local vaults not supported yet in 1Password 6]

mikeybarra
mikeybarra
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Just wondering, I can't edit anything when 1Password Beta for Windows 10 is linked to a Dropbox save of my key. Is this the way the app is now? I thought I could edit before the latest update.

1Password Version: 2016.3.200
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That's correct, @mikeybarra. The beta app does not yet include the ability to modify vaults that are not stored in a 1Password for Teams or 1Password for Family account, which means that your existing .agilekeychain and .opvault folders are "read-only."

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we encourage you to try our Teams and Families offerings. In the beta app, you can easily move your existing vaults to new Teams/Families vaults, where their contents can be modified: new items, edited items, deleted items, etc.

• mikeybarra
    mikeybarra
    Community Member

My family is just me.

Will this feature be coming soon? If you're after the $5 a month, I'm happy to pay more for the application with this functionality as a one time purchase.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I don't know of any plans for that feature, at this time, @mikeybarra.

• Gushchin
    Gushchin
    Community Member

I am having the same problem with the version 6.1.286d. Had to install the old 4.6.1.616.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gushchin: Sorry for the confusion! Indeed, please use 1Password 4. It is a mature app which supports local vaults fully. 1Password 6 is only needed for the subscription service. We'll be adding local vault support in a future update.

• Alienigena
    Alienigena
    Community Member

You cannot be that greedy!!! I can't believe it! What I paid for the app for Mac + Windows and for the app for iOS is not enough for you?
    If I knew in advance the changes that you were planning to force us to carry on paying month after month for THE SAME service, I would have never shifted to 1Pasword.
    Not to mention that I cooperated with your development team to correct quite a few big mistakes when the app was being developed and was not so "mature" (to keep your hypocritical own words). And you didn't pay me or deduct me money for the malfuction of the synchronization between platforms at the time.
    You are lucky that it's impossible to go back in time, to change my past wrong decisions.
    Enjoy your customers' money, you greedy guys!

• Hi @Alienigena,

I'm sorry you're feeling that way but that's not the case with what's going on here and we do apologize that it is not clear.

1Password 6 for Windows is not a paid app nor is it an upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, 1Password 4 is still the latest version for all customers using local vaults and third party syncing services. 1Password 6 does not require monthly fees, that's for 1Password.com subscription only, you get all 1Password.com-supported apps included as part of the subscription, that includes 1Password 6 for Windows.

1Password 4 cannot support 1Password.com, thus why it seems like 1Password 6 would require it but that's not the case. Once 1Password 6 supports local vaults, it would get licensing and thus, you'd get the same thing as 1Password 4, it's just not something that's implemented right now. That's why 1Password 6 is not an upgrade to 1Password 4 yet.

As for the revenue, all license revenues goes into funding the current version development with free updates and the customer service teams. It does not fund 1Password.com service, that's being funded separately by the subscription fees and nothing to do with licenses. In addition, future major versions of 1Password (local) would be funded by the potential sales of the licenses for these versions, not by current licenses. That's why upgrade fees exist, it is simply not sustainable to offer lifetime licenses to get free upgrades forever, we'd be out of business 8 years ago if we did this.

• Alienigena
    Alienigena
    Community Member

Oh, @MikeT, despite all your wording, I think everything is very clear.
    You do not request formally upgrading or paying anything to use the version 6 of the software in Windows, but in the reality practically if you want/need to synchronize a local vault from Dropbox... that "it's just not something that's implemented right now".
    So you are forcing us to use the old half-finished and very unusable version 4 if we don't want to pay MORE AND AGAIN. The only alternative to be able to edit our passwords in the more modern and more-or-less-finished version 6 of your software is to pay again for the same service I had already paid for.
    No, I think I got very well what you are trying to accomplish as a matter of fact with your policy of not giving more service to the customers that trusted you and thought they were going to get these updates in the future and not be forced to pay once and again.
    It's very clear indeed, no matter how you disguise it with your words.
    And only when I remember that I helped you to polish that synchronization that four years ago worked really terribly..., and now you deny me that possibility to synchronize from Windows to Mac, because I cannot edit my passwords in the version 6... And forget about me using that awful version 4 that is not even appropriate for a Third World country.
    Regards (just to say something polite).

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

I'm not trying to disguise anything or say something between the lines. If there's something I'm saying that is not clear, I'd love to clear it up.

but in the reality practically if you want/need to synchronize a local vault from Dropbox... that "it's just not something that's implemented right now".

1Password 4 supports it, it is the latest and most complete version of 1Password on Windows right now.

If there's something we can do to improve 1Password 4 with Dropbox sync, please do let us know. We have a lot of customers using 1Password 4 with Dropbox that are not having any issues and we are using it too, in addition to 1Password 6 with 1Password.com service.

The only alternative to be able to edit our passwords in the more modern and more-or-less-finished version 6 of your software is to pay again for the same service I had already paid for.

1Password itself is not a service, you bought a license to use 1Password 4 for Windows, such a license does not entitle you to any future versions of 1Password, so yes it would mean that if you want a new version, you'd have to pay again.

1Password 6 is not finished by far, there are a lot of features missing that we're working on. 1Password 4 remains the version with all of the features included.

If by the time 1Password 6 is released with the licensing and local vault support and you want to upgrade to it, assuming we're making it a paid upgrade, then yes, you would have to pay for it again but it would by your choice.

and now you deny me that possibility to synchronize from Windows to Mac, because I cannot edit my passwords in the version 6...

We are not denying you anything. We are very happy to help you to get 1Password 4 to work with Dropbox sync, which is the latest version and what you own.

The version number doesn't tell the whole story, we could've gone 1Password Beta for 1Password.com service but branding isn't something we can fully control at the app stores (some do not allow us to rename later) and other places, so we've decided to use 1Password 6 and add features over time, including local vaults with advanced third party sync services.

• dorksidecookies
    dorksidecookies
    Community Member

Thanks for your infinite patience MikeT!

I did want to comment that it was a little confusing personally because I got a new pc at work, promptly installed 1password (I thought), downloaded and installed it, and was like "Whoah! what the heck is this?" There isn't much indication of which version I was downloading, so had installed 1password 6 accidentally.

There is some cool stuff here, definitely...but I still like 1password 4 much more as it seems more fully fleshed out (for now).

What isn't 100% clear, is where to get 1password 4. I went ahead and bought the 1password for families plan, the price for me and my wife is reasonable and I value your service that much that I want to help fund new features. However, if I was at a point that I didn't/couldn't buy the new version and wanted 1password 4, I'd be (IMO rightfully) confused as to how I get it. Maybe I'm just dumb though, its been known to happen.

• Hi @dorksidecookies,

Thanks for letting us know that, we didn't do a good job there for sure and that's entirely on us, we do apologize. We're not used to having two separate versions for two separate functions and this isn't the case on other platforms, we have one app on other platforms that can do both local vaults + 1Password.com accounts but on Windows, we couldn't make it happen with 1Password 4, so we had to build a new program instead.

There are two ways you can find 1Password 4, the first is the same as the past decade, https://agilebits.com/downloads, this includes all 1Password apps that support local vaults, not 1Password.com and note the domain name. All 1Password.com-supported apps are offered on the https://1Password.com/downloads/. However, we do list the download for 1Password 4 below the big blue button on the 1Password.com site.

We also list all of our versions we ever offered on our changelog here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com

• oskerlau
    oskerlau
    Community Member

Disappointed that I cannot edit to Dropbox. Happy to pay for the 1Password6 if you can enable the function.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@oskerlau: Thank you for reaching out!

1Password 6 is currently focused on 1Password accounts, but our end goal is to bring it to feature parity with 1Password 4 and have a one app on Windows. Is there a particular reason why you don't want to try 1Password account? They have several advantages over local vaults:

Why 1Password account?

We will be happy, if you give them a try. :)

Thanks!

Greg

This discussion has been closed.