Multiple copies of 1Password

Options
cbpp
cbpp
Community Member

Just a comment - when I update 1Password, I am now getting a warning that I have multiple copies of the program installed. What it is seeing is a copy of the application on my attached Time Machine or Super Duper backup. That's a little annoying and unnecessary.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cbpp,

I think I can hopefully explain what we are trying to accomplish with that prompt.

The prompt is there because Mac OS X can sometimes have issues when there are multiple copies of an application on your computer. We try to alert users who have multiple copies so we can make their experience using the application as easy and reliable as possible. We have historically had a sizeable number of users contacting us with weird behaviours that are related to having multiple copies of 1Password on their computer.

Personally I would not backup the 1Password application since it does not contain your data since it can always be found on the App Store or the AgileBits store. But some people want to keep the app around. Others have just zipped up copies of 1Password and included it with their backups in order to more easily restore if necessary.

If you want to keep those copies of 1Password around you are free to click the prompt to continue without the update.

Hope this helps.

• cbpp
    cbpp
    Community Member
    Options

Time Machine doesn't include/exclude items - everything is backed up. Super Duper is a clone, so ditto.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

But with both Time Machine and SuperDuper it is easy to exclude items.

In Time Machine preferences, there is a Privacy option. And the SuperDuper manual explains how to exclude folders from the clone, and the same procedure works for files.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hey @cbpp,

That's not entirely true.

In the TimeMachine settings you can tell it to omit a directory for backup. So personally my setup is to not backup the Applications folder because I do not consider any of those large files worthy of backup since I can always recover them. I would be that SuperDuper has a similar setting.

This discussion has been closed.