Are personal vaults only in teams not families?

lewpiper
lewpiper
Community Member

I signed up for 1Password for Teams and started playing around with it. I added a new team member and set up their 1Password in the app on iPhone with them to see what it was like to go through that process.

However, I noticed that there is something called the personal vault and then there is the vault I created for them under the teams. This is a bit confusing and I am not sure why there is a personal vault in the first place. It seems as though it is not synced because I do not see it on the admin console for that user.

Some of my team members (aka fam) will possibly get confused by this and start adding things here and that could be a problem. So I am just trying to understand why it is needed? Can it be disabled? I think if I understand the why behind it I will understand how to manage it I guess.

**Note I just migrated from a Teams to Family account

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud --> Teams
Referrer: forum-search:account key

Comments

• Hi again @lewpiper :)

Each user (for either Teams or Families) receives a "Personal" vault upon account creation. This vault cannot be edited/deleted, and is totally invisible to everyone except the user to whom it belongs. You can see your own Personal vault, but you'll never see another user's Personal vault. There is no managing to it. It will appear on any device the user signs into (and on the web interface).

In most cases it is not necessary, and will likely not make sense, for the admin to explicitly create a vault for each user. This is already handled via the Personal vault.

Additionally there is another default vault: the "Shared" vault. All users of the family / team have access to this vault once their account has been confirmed. There is more flexibility when it comes to this vault though, as access can be restricted.

Thanks!

Ben

• lewpiper
    lewpiper
    Community Member

Hey @bwoodruff,

Thanks again for the reply and help with understanding the use case for the Personal vault. This is very valuable information and it appears my idea was a bit different. I have created every team member a single vault, and myself (an admin) and that team member has access to their vault. This allows me to be able to see their passwords, and assist them in setup and configuration of how to use a password manager. So the personal vault is something of a pain, because I don't want them to be able to use that in theory. Fingers crossed I can get them to use their vault I created for them.

Thanks!
    Lew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lewpiper: I would look at it this way: it's important for people to be able to have a secure place that only they can access to store information. After all, that's what 1Password is for! However, if you're assisting them, you can certainly make the case that if they'd like help with specific setup or login issues (for example), that you'll be better able to help them if they allow you to have access to some data. Cheers! :)

• lewpiper
    lewpiper
    Community Member

Hi @brenty

Makes total sense! Believe me I wish they could all use their personal vault and didn't need my help. :|

Thanks again for your help in understanding this.

Lew

• You're most welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.