Master Password not working

Options
bmjusmc
bmjusmc
Community Member

Sometime last week my master password stopped working, maybe Wednesday or Thursday. I was out of town but was pretty confident I had the right password since I enter it almost every day. When I got home I found where I wrote my password down but is still not working after multiple attempts on mac version and iPhone version. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.2
Sync Type: wi fi

Comments

• Hi @bmjusmc ,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble entering your master password. When you type it wrong a few times, you should see a hint appear. Does that hint match the one you've always had, or does it look different?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• bmjusmc
    bmjusmc
    Community Member
    Options

Same hint I've always had.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bmjusmc,

Thanks for confirming that. Just to make sure I understand, did your master password stop working on both your Mac and your iPhone at the same time? It's very strange that you would suddenly be unable to unlock it on both. Out of curiosity, how long had it been since you had tried unlocking it?

If you're sure you are entering the correct master password but it's not being accepted, there are some tips in this guide which might help: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

Do any of the suggestions in that article help? Please let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• bmjusmc
    bmjusmc
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it stopped working on both iPhone app and on Mac. It had been maybe just a day or two before that since I had last unlocked it. I tried the tips listed and nothing seems to be working..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bmjusmc,

Hmm, that's definitely strange. When you were following the steps from the knowledgebase article, did you try restoring 1Password on your Mac from a backup? If so, I'm guessing none of the backups accepted your master password?

I noticed that in your original message, you said "...I found where I wrote my password down...". Does that mean you don't have your master password memorized? If you need to use the one you wrote down, is it possible you're looking at the wrong one, and the correct master password is written down somewhere else? That would at least explain why the one you're typing doesn't work on either your Mac or iPhone.

Have you ever changed your master password? If so, have you tried entering the old and new passwords, to see if either one works?

• bmjusmc
    bmjusmc
    Community Member
    Options

I did try restoring from a few different backups and that did not work. I have only used 1 master password since having the app for about 6 months. I wrote my original down and kept it in a safe place but never have had to go to it because I had memorized my password. I have never changed it. Thanks

• bmjusmc
    bmjusmc
    Community Member
    Options

Anything? Really don't want to start all over. Weird how it just happened to both apps.

• bmjusmc
    bmjusmc
    Community Member
    Options

Stand down. Apparently I wrote the password down wrong just slightly. Thanks for the help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Whew! Great that you figured that out. I've been watching this thread with some interest, so I'm happy for this outcome. The alternative would have been really inconvenient.

The human mind is sometime pretty unreliable. Mine, anyway.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's awesome news @bmjusmc! I'm really glad it turned out to be a simple mistake in the password you wrote down. And perhaps that will actually help you memorize the correct master password in the future so you won't need to rely on having it written down somewhere! ;)

If you run into more problems or need anything else, please let us know. We're always happy to help. :)

• sethmagnuson
    sethmagnuson
    Community Member
    Options

Yesterday afternoon my master password stopped working. I didn't change it. What can I do?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sethmagnuson I'm sorry to hear that. Can you offer a little more information about what happened? Does this affect multiple devices, or just one? This support article offers a quick rundown of what you can do when this occurs: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

This discussion has been closed.