How does 1P/Watchtower decide that a site/pw is vulnerable

Options
jochenneese
jochenneese
Community Member

Hi,
In my roughly 300 logins there are 10 which are displayed by 1P as "Weakness warning - Change Password" (or the like, I use the German localization).

Among those 10 there are ones with a really strong password (numbers, letters, upper+lower case, special characters, 12 characters in total), so I ask myself what the reason is that 1P suggests changing the pw. There must have been incidents that suggest the site isn't safe any more or has been compromised. How can I find out what's up there? I just don't want to change the strong password that fits in my usual scheme to something that does not fit any more...

Thanks for any hints.
Regards
Jochen

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jochenneese,

Thanks for writing in. At the top of items that have been marked by Watchtower there should be a banner that you can click that would give you additional details about why we've marked that site as such. If that's not giving you enough information, let us know and we can dig further for you.

Rick

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi rickfillion, thanks for the swift reply. The text (in German, translated here to English for you) says : "We believe that passwords stored on or transmitted to this site may be vulnerable. Please change your password immediately." I have digged down myself and found out that Watchtower tells me that "Certificates have not yet been reissued" or "Old certificates have not yet been revoked". I may have to contact the bank to make them aware of this.

BUT: If I changed my (!) password this would not remedy the situation with the bank's certificate. So how would a changed pw help here?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jochenneese

What is the URL to the bank? I'd like to see exactly why we've flagged it in Watchtower so that we can make the appropriate recommendation here.

Thanks!

Ben

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff ,
    the URL that asks for the customer's credentials to log in to the CC account and transaction data is: https://kreditkarten-banking.lbb.de/adac/cas/dispatch.do?bt_PRELON=do&ref=1200_ADAC&service=COS&

Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Jochen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @jochenneese!

First, I wanted to mention that Watchtower warnings have nothing to do with the strength of your passwords for those sites. We add sites to Watchtower when we learn about website vulnerabilities that have a risk of exposing passwords. That doesn't necessarily mean your own password on a particular site was exposed, but there's always a possibility that it was, and Watchtower lets you know so you can change that password, just to be safe.

I took a look into the site you mentioned, and it was flagged due to the Heartbleed bug found in OpenSSL a couple years ago. It's been quite some time, and it's probably fine now, but Watchtower will continue to show you an alert about a site until the password is changed. So, if you'd like to stop seeing the Watchtower warning for that Login item (or if you just want to play it safe, since we can't say for certain), you'll want to change its password. 1Password does make it easy to change Login passwords, though, and we have the steps to do that here: How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password

Hopefully that helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.