Help me sign in to my bank online account

kitchenangel
kitchenangel
Community Member

I am 70 years old.

I was advised to change all my passwords by my credit card company which was compromised. I downloaded 1Password from agile bits.com Now I am locked out of my online bank, and credit card account. For the most part I can use 1Password for changing passwords on most of my online accounts. But when it doesn't work, I'm having a hard time following your instructions for when it does not work automatically. I loaded the Browser Extensions ok...if fact, I've done it 3 times.

It would be nice if you explained the differences to me in the 1Password Application between the Logins and the Passwords. Is the Login the same as a Username. Why are there more Logins than there are Passwords? This has been confusing to me. When I'm trying to get into a website, and I click on the icon (1Password) in the toolbar, more than one login shows up. Which one to use? I have deleted some to help me keep it straight and I think I deleted the correct password to my Amex account as now I can't login.

There are other steps to take when the website won't Save a password but I'm not following them correctly as I can't get into some of my websites. I am frustrated and upset by this. You say it's easy and then it is at first but then when it's not easy, I can't do it. It makes me want to cry. I need someone to help me. I can follow instructions when they are clear. I have to have the step by steps open on my iPad and then I can follow what to do.

Is there a phone number I can call?

1Password Version: 6.1 (510005)
Extension Version: 4.5.4
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I am blocked out of my bank, a major credit card and Target. I am 70 years old.

Comments

• Hi @kitchenangel! Thanks so much for posting on our forums about this. I would be happy to help clear things up.

I was advised to change all my passwords by my credit card company which was compromised. I downloaded 1Password from agile bits.com Now I am locked out of my online bank, and credit card account.

I'm very sorry to hear that. How did you change your password? When you generate a password with 1Password, it is saved automatically as a Password item rather than a Login one. When you change a password on a Login item you already have stored (if you had your bank username and password stored in 1Password previously), you should be asked to update it in 1Password. I usually send people to this knowledge base article, which is the best documentation we have on changing passwords with our app:

How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password

I'd love to know what you think of it. If you already read it, we're open to any feedback you have. :)

For the most part I can use 1Password for changing passwords on most of my online accounts. But when it doesn't work, I'm having a hard time following your instructions for when it does not work automatically. I loaded the Browser Extensions ok...if fact, I've done it 3 times.

I'm glad to hear the browser extension is working, and you were able to set it up three times. What does the app not do automatically sometimes? I'd be happy to help with that.

It would be nice if you explained the differences to me in the 1Password Application between the Logins and the Passwords. Is the Login the same as a Username. Why are there more Logins than there are Passwords? This has been confusing to me.

What I mentioned above regarding generating passwords may help clarify this a bit, but going a step further: Login items are usernames and passwords — the combination of them — and Password items are only passwords. You may have a few Password items if you generated some passwords and didn't save them to a Login item at some point, either following the steps in the guide I linked to above or manually saving the Login.

When I'm trying to get into a website, and I click on the icon (1Password) in the toolbar, more than one login shows up. Which one to use? I have deleted some to help me keep it straight and I think I deleted the correct password to my Amex account as now I can't login.

If you're seeing more than one Login item, you may not be on the website you're trying to log in to. There are several ways to use a Login item you've stored in 1Password, and I highly recommend giving the Using a saved Login page of our user guide a read to understand how they work. If you deleted a Login or any other item in the app, you can always check the Trash in the bottom left of the main window for it. Simply select the item and click Restore in the right pane. If you changed the password, you can click the item and click show previously used passwords to see old passwords, then click one to copy it to your clipboard. Then edit the item and add the correct password to it from your clipboard.

There are other steps to take when the website won't Save a password but I'm not following them correctly as I can't get into some of my websites. I am frustrated and upset by this.

There are indeed some other ways to save things if you aren't prompted to when you log in. I'd recommend the steps mentioned in How to save a Login manually if Autosave does not appear.

I'm sorry to hear some of the instructions you read weren't clear. We'd be happy to make those better. Could you post some links to those articles and guides and let us know what was confusing in them? We'll take a closer look and see what we can improve. :)

I hope this helps get things on track! Please let us know if there's anything else we can do.

This discussion has been closed.